Saturday, 2009-04-04

*** tpb has joined #melange00:00
*** dmitrig01|afk has joined #melange00:01
*** ChanServ sets mode: +v dmitrig01|afk00:01
*** dmitrig01|afk is now known as dmitrig0100:29
*** dmitrig01 has quit IRC00:50
*** dmitrig01|afk has joined #melange00:52
*** ChanServ sets mode: +v dmitrig01|afk00:52
*** glaksmono has joined #melange01:16
*** dmitrig01|afk has quit IRC02:00
*** paulitex has joined #melange02:03
*** paulitex has quit IRC02:04
*** zwabel_ has joined #melange02:44
*** zwabel_ has quit IRC02:45
*** peter_dc has quit IRC02:53
*** MatthewWilkes has joined #melange02:59
*** MatthewWilkes has quit IRC03:11
*** allen has joined #melange03:35
*** dhaun has joined #melange03:37
*** madrazr has joined #melange04:31
*** geekius_caesar has joined #melange05:09
*** madrazr has left #melange05:30
*** geekius_caesar has quit IRC05:46
*** geekius_caesar has joined #melange05:47
*** SRabbelier has joined #melange06:13
*** ChanServ sets mode: +o SRabbelier06:13
*** madrazr has joined #melange06:21
*** geekius_caesar has quit IRC06:22
*** geekius_caesar has joined #melange06:24
*** geekius_caesar has quit IRC06:46
madrazrSRabbelier: Hi08:25
SRabbeliermadrazr: sup! :)08:26
madrazrSRabbelier: nothing great!08:26
madrazrWassup there?08:26
SRabbeliermadrazr: gotta write some lame paper :P08:27
madrazrSRabbelier: heh, what is it about?08:27
madrazrSRabbelier: Just one clarification.08:28
madrazrDo we already have code, to display only the Student abstract (linked from Org home page)?08:28
SRabbeliermadrazr: the ethical problems with the Dutch shared healthcare info system08:28
SRabbeliermadrazr: I'm not sure, don't think so actually08:28
SRabbeliermadrazr: you'd have to ask Lennie08:28
madrazrSRabbelier: Oh I think it is interesting topic :P08:29
madrazrSRabbelier: Ok08:29
* madrazr extends his wait for Lennie for another issue08:29
SRabbeliermadrazr: heheh :P08:29
madrazr:)08:30
*** allen has quit IRC09:08
*** Ownatik has joined #melange09:40
*** Ownatik has left #melange09:40
*** chx has joined #melange09:51
chxhi. i just checked with one of my students and he claims getting no email when i comment on his app. that's a bit ... disturbing.09:51
dhaunchx: they need to subscribe to comments - did your student do that?09:52
chxdhaun: [06:53] <snufkin> ehh and i dont even have notifications on the soc application, nor settings related to this09:53
chxdhaun: i asked snufkin to join us.09:53
*** snufkin has joined #melange09:54
snufkinhi09:54
chxdhaun: so... there should be something?09:55
dhaunI'm not a Melange dev and have never seen the student side of it09:55
dhaunbut from what I gathered elsewhere there should be an option to subscribe, yes09:55
snufkinim trying out the subscription now09:55
snufkinyeah i was not expecting that i need to subscribe to my own application09:55
snufkinand i was looking at the user settings and stuff09:56
dhaunchx: as mentors, we have these buttons to subscribe above the applications - I suppose students have one there, too09:56
chxsnufkin: i urge you to file a melange bug09:57
chxsnufkin: students should not need to subscribe to their own app09:57
dhaunyeah, the default doesn't seem to be very user friendly ...09:58
snufkinchx: im on it09:58
snufkinactually there is an issue already: http://code.google.com/p/soc/issues/detail?id=44109:59
tpb<http://ln-s.net/36$_> (at code.google.com)09:59
chxsnufkin: comment on it?10:09
chxsnufkin: i won't , i am not a student :)10:09
snufkinchx: yeah im just listening to add1sun right now at the galway drupalcamp :)10:09
chxoh10:10
*** tansell has quit IRC10:22
SRabbeliersnufkin: you couldof read the userguide you know ;)10:34
SRabbeliersnufkin: I know, crazy idea, what with you being told to do so everywhere10:34
madrazrSRabbelier: to construct the contents for the list, what is the structure of contents list? How does it work, can you brief a bit?10:34
SRabbeliermadrazr: easiest would be to just let soc.views.helper.list.getListContent do that for you10:35
SRabbeliermadrazr: but if you need to do it manually for some reason, see how it does it10:35
madrazrSRabbelier: Ok10:35
madrazrSRabbelier: I was looking at program.view.acceptedOrgs() method got, got confused a bit10:36
madrazrSRabbelier: no problem, will look at getListContent code10:36
SRabbeliermadrazr: ah, that's where I do it manually because we don't need pagination there10:37
madrazrSRabbelier: Ok10:37
SRabbeliermadrazr: I guess you got unluckyk and picked the one wrong example  :P10:37
madrazrSRabbelier: ha ha :D10:37
madrazrSRabbelier: seems similar to bikeshed problem :P10:38
SRabbeliermadrazr: hmmm?10:38
madrazrSRabbelier: the problem that should get least attention, actually gets maximum attention10:39
SRabbeliermadrazr: ah, right :)10:40
*** j-b has joined #melange10:42
j-bhello people10:42
madrazrSRabbelier: do you think any organization will have so many slots to require pagination at all? ;-)10:42
* madrazr runs10:42
SRabbeliermadrazr: Hmmm... no, I don't think so10:43
madrazrSRabbelier: Ok10:43
SRabbeliermadrazr: They all get <50 slots anyway10:43
madrazrSRabbelier: Ok10:43
j-bmadrazr: I do need it10:43
madrazrj-b: what?10:43
j-bpagination10:43
*** ishesh has joined #melange10:43
madrazrj-b: for what?10:43
SRabbelierj-b: madrazr is talking about accepted students10:43
SRabbelierj-b: not proposals10:44
j-bWe have an issue with the reviewing process. Most applications of the students have quoted their text and quoted texted isn't wrapped10:44
j-boh, sorry10:44
j-banyway, I have many pages that are sooooo wide... Anyway to force wrapping of text?10:44
* madrazr is curious to know which org admin/mentor j-b is to require a pagination for student proposals ;-)10:44
j-bmadrazr: videolan10:45
SRabbelierj-b: we have a prospective student that's looking into making the forms css based rather than table based, so that we could force the text to be wrapped10:45
madrazrj-b: Oh OK10:45
j-bSRabbelier: the one I am reviewing now is around 4000px wide10:45
SRabbelierj-b: apic fail :P10:46
j-bit is just a bit boring10:46
j-b:)10:46
j-bexample is http://socghop.appspot.com/student_proposal/review/google/gsoc2009/abhishek_kumar/t12387744910410:46
tpb<http://ln-s.net/36$r> (at socghop.appspot.com)10:46
madrazrj-b: how many proposals do you have? I am just curious10:46
j-bmadrazr: 7710:46
madrazrerr... I cannot believe10:47
madrazr:)10:47
j-bwhy ?10:47
SRabbelierj-b: slightly retarded student though10:47
madrazrj-b: no, I am just wondering how you will review so many10:47
j-bmadrazr: spend my week-end on it?10:47
SRabbelierj-b: I mean, c'mon, it's not that hard to have a look at your application after submitting it and noticing that it looks crappy10:47
mithrohey SRabbelier10:48
j-bSRabbelier: yeah, of course :D10:48
j-bSRabbelier: but, well, you see my issue?10:48
madrazrj-b: he he Ok :)10:48
SRabbelierj-b: yeah, I do :P10:48
j-bmadrazr: I have done 54 so far10:48
SRabbeliermithro: heya10:48
*** |ajaksu| has joined #melange10:48
j-bSRabbelier: ok, thx10:48
mithrohow goes melange apps?10:48
j-bit was just to report the issue10:48
madrazrj-b: awesome!10:48
*** j-b has left #melange10:48
SRabbeliermithro: not too shabby, we have 24 in total now10:49
mithroSRabbelier: yeah I saw :)10:49
SRabbeliermithro: you did? :P10:49
mithroSRabbelier: yeah, all signed up as a mentor :)10:50
*** ArthurLiu has joined #melange10:54
ArthurLiuWe have a weird application comment here: http://socghop.appspot.com/student_proposal/review/google/gsoc2009/mrlanrat/t12387785687810:54
tpb<http://ln-s.net/36$y> (at socghop.appspot.com)10:54
*** j-b has joined #melange10:55
SRabbelierArthurLiu: whoah 0.o10:55
j-boh, and btw, sorry to have left: thanks so much for melange10:55
j-bway easier to manage this year!10:55
*** snufkin has left #melange10:55
SRabbelierj-b: thanks! :)10:55
j-bI just miss a colour/label gmail like thing for proposals10:55
j-bbut thx so muc10:55
j-b+h10:56
*** j-b has left #melange10:57
*** ajaksu has quit IRC11:04
*** tansell-laptop has joined #melange11:24
*** makkuv6 has joined #melange11:26
*** ishesh has quit IRC11:44
*** James--Crook has joined #melange11:45
*** ishesh has joined #melange11:45
*** makkuv6 has quit IRC11:46
*** haoyu has joined #melange11:46
madrazrSRabbelier: don't I get Student Name from the Student Model or am I missing something here?11:47
madrazrSRabbelier: ouch sorry11:48
* madrazr slaps himself for being hasty11:48
madrazrSRabbelier: defined in Role :)11:48
haoyuis the proposal still editable?11:50
*** codzard675 has joined #melange11:53
Erantno11:53
codzard675hello11:54
codzard675i cannot edit my GSoC proposal.it shows error.but i am informed that i can edit the application till 15th.can someone help me out?11:59
ErantYou were informed wrongly.11:59
*** jetienne has joined #melange12:02
*** dmitrig01|afk has joined #melange12:06
*** ChanServ sets mode: +v dmitrig01|afk12:06
*** tansell-laptop has quit IRC12:17
*** paulitex has joined #melange12:26
*** ankitg has quit IRC12:40
*** paulitex has quit IRC12:40
*** codzard675 has quit IRC12:42
*** ishesh has left #melange12:43
*** madrazr has left #melange12:47
*** Merio has joined #melange13:04
James--CrookSRabbelier: Re:  "High != Normal != Medium. ".  Ooops!  I need more sleep :-)  Thanks for fixing that.13:11
SRabbelierJames--Crook: yes, you do :P13:11
SRabbelierJames--Crook: also, the priorities are not really user-preference based13:11
James--CrookMmmmhh  I've been thinking about that.13:11
SRabbelierJames--Crook: yes, many users starring an issue is a reason to re-evaluate the importance of an issue13:12
James--CrookI notice we get some very long and time consuming threads when many people are interested in an issue.13:12
SRabbelierJames--Crook: but it should definitely not be a reason an-sich13:12
SRabbelierJames--Crook: mh?13:12
James--CrookMmmmhh = expression of mild disagreement.13:13
James--CrookNumber of M's and h's may vary.13:13
James--CrookI've also been thinking that encouraging people to star existing issues rather than create new ones (duplicates) is a good thing as far as developer time is concerned.  And taking more account of stars is one way to encourage that.13:15
*** haoyu has left #melange13:16
SRabbelierJames--Crook: true, that; but we still have limited resources :)13:18
SRabbelierJames--Crook: and if there's, say, a work-around for something13:18
SRabbelierJames--Crook: it's lower priority than something that doesn't13:18
James--CrookIt was issue 441 http://code.google.com/p/soc/issues/detail?id=441 that set me thinking...13:20
tpb<http://ln-s.net/36$_> (at code.google.com)13:20
James--CrookThat's a lot of developer time  gone into talking about one issue.13:21
SRabbelierJames--Crook: true, that13:22
James--CrookIn a way I'd like to have been able to intervene and say 'Get ten people to star this and we'll push it up in priority', and not lose time on a lengthy discussion.13:22
James--CrookOtherwise it stays low.13:22
SRabbelierJames--Crook: 10 is not enough though13:23
SRabbelierJames--Crook: that's only a tiny fraction of the users of socghop13:23
James--CrookIF we had that generally across all issues, perhaps we'd get better involvement of people contributing issues.  So it becomes a factor we take into account.13:23
James--CrookHmm.  I'll buy that.  Suggest a number.13:24
SRabbelierJames--Crook: I'll agree there, but only if say, 5% of all mentors star the issue13:24
SRabbelierJames--Crook: (for a mentor-related issue of course)13:24
James--CrookCompromise?   5% of number of mentors who attend mentor summit :-)13:25
SRabbelierJames--Crook: hehe, but that number is limited by the amount of people Google will fund to come, no?13:25
James--CrookMy sense is we have about 30 people who take an active interest in the issue tracker.13:26
SRabbelierJames--Crook: mhhh, how about 42?13:26
SRabbelierJames--Crook: that's a cool number, and about 2.5% of all mentors13:26
James--Crook42 stars and it goes up a notch in priority?  DEAL!13:26
SRabbelierJames--Crook: Easy, I'll even go as far as saying that for 42 stars we bump it from Optional to Medium right away13:27
James--CrookOK.  lol.  I can see where this is going.13:27
SRabbelierJames--Crook: of course, it might still be Milestone-Future, right?13:27
James--CrookOh yes.  That was always the intention.13:28
SRabbelierJames--Crook: ok, nice :)13:28
SRabbelierJames--Crook: I'll talk about it with Pawel and Lennie13:28
SRabbelierJames--Crook: I like the idea, because I think the issues most people are whining about are actually not that annoying to most13:28
James--CrookGood.  Really what I want to do is save a bit of our bandwidth on the non-critical stuff.13:29
SRabbelierJames--Crook: Right, exactly13:29
SRabbelierJames--Crook: totally brilliant solution :)13:29
*** boff has joined #melange13:29
SRabbelierJames--Crook: we can send an msg to the announce list too13:29
*** boff has quit IRC13:30
James--CrookSo, I'd also say that the '42' thing will not push an issue into critical (unless a dev wants it).13:30
SRabbelierJames--Crook: Right, it's for Optional or Low to Medium13:30
SRabbelierJames--Crook: and maybe from Medium to High13:30
SRabbeliernot sure on that one though13:30
James--CrookTalk with Pawel and Lennie first... They may be able to improve the idea.13:30
SRabbelierJames--Crook: only thing I'm worrying about is that people will 'cheat' by starring the issue with multiple accounts13:30
James--Crook(critical mod was only an idea...  drop it)13:30
SRabbelier(critical mod? mhh?)13:31
* SRabbelier doesn't undestand13:31
James--CrookMaybe...  but if we feel that is happening we turn round and say... Look13:31
* SRabbelier nods13:31
SRabbelierok, fair enough13:31
*** paulitex has joined #melange13:31
James--Crookthere are 42 of you...  one of you suggest a patch ...  and13:31
James--Crookwe'll help you with the getting up to speed with Melange etc.13:31
SRabbelierJames--Crook: *grins*13:31
SRabbelierJames--Crook: I'll do that anyway13:32
*** paulitex has quit IRC13:32
SRabbelierJames--Crook: I'm definitely willing to spend time on a Prioirity-Optional issue to help anyone interested get up to speed13:32
James--CrookThat is well worth saying somewhere.13:32
SRabbelierJames--Crook: we can announce it in the same mail13:33
SRabbelier(so far I've commented on all issues where someone says they're willing to give it a shot)13:33
*** paulitex has joined #melange13:33
*** madrazr has joined #melange13:34
James--CrookSounds good.13:34
SRabbelierJames--Crook: anyway, good idea! I'll take it up with Pawel when he gets back from dinner, and Lennie when he's awake again :P13:36
* James--Crook is envious of Lennie having some sleep.13:36
*** |ajaksu| is now known as ajaksu13:37
SRabbelierJames--Crook: hehe, get ill too then! :P13:38
SRabbelierJames--Crook: btw, isn't it hilarious how we got a 45QPS spike before the deadline (with a quadratic ramp leading up to it), and then within an hour it's down to 15QPS, and now it's down as low as 5QPS13:40
paulitexhilarious or human nature? ;)13:41
James--CrookI'm not sure I'd quite say hilarious.13:41
James--Crook45 Sound smighty high for what we are doing.13:41
SRabbelierpaulitex: little bit of both :)13:42
James--CrookDo you have a Mb's served figure to go with that Sverre?13:42
SRabbelierJames--Crook: I have a Mb/s figure13:42
James--Crookthat'll do13:43
SRabbelierJames--Crook: about 377kB/s13:43
James--CrookThat was our peak?13:43
SRabbelierJames--Crook: with only 65kB/s received13:43
SRabbelierJames--Crook: yup13:43
James--CrookI was looking at the traffic to/from my machine with etherreal.13:45
SRabbelierJames--Crook: ah, and?13:45
James--CrookAt least with firefox the javascript like TinyMCE is cached correctly, not loaded each time it is used.13:46
SRabbelierJames--Crook: (we got a whole bunch of errors too though, we had one 0.3 errors/second spike right before the deadline)13:46
SRabbelierJames--Crook: yeah, totally jay for that :P13:46
SRabbelierJames--Crook: (also, milliseconds/request was up to almost 5/s during the spike)13:46
SRabbelierJames--Crook: but only the last half hour or so, maybe even less13:47
SRabbelierJames--Crook: I'm guessing AppEngine had a hard time dealing with the sudden rush13:47
James--CrookI like the way Google gives time-for-request on search pages.13:47
SRabbelierJames--Crook: I like how low the number is :P13:47
James--CrookBut something is not really right still, as Melange as a whole is sluggish.13:48
SRabbelierJames--Crook: meh, I wish we'd gotten a student proposal for profiling Melange13:49
James--CrookOh, shame, no one took that up.13:49
James--CrookWell, the 45QPS must surely be the highest we'll go this GSoC.13:50
SRabbelierJames--Crook: indeed13:50
James--CrookNothing else will be quite so intense.13:50
SRabbelierJames--Crook: don't know, depends, student announced will be pretty bad too13:50
SRabbelierJames--Crook: otoh, we can totally cache the hell out of that page :P13:50
SRabbelierJames--Crook: **those pages13:50
James--CrookI wonder if they are that demanding...  Is the plan to have one student per page or to do a whole org all on one page?  If the latter, then we do NEED to cache it.13:52
SRabbelierJames--Crook: the former13:54
SRabbelierJames--Crook: err, the latter actually, sorry13:55
SRabbelierJames--Crook: I read that as what you said last, and then "or all accepted students on one page"13:56
James--Crookheh.  I was confused already anyway :-)  Yeah.  So cache the hell out of it.13:56
James--CrookOne question about caching...13:57
SRabbelierJames--Crook: yup, we already cache org home pages anyway, so maybe I don't even have to do anything :)13:57
James--CrookIs the idea to have a generate-to-cache function?13:57
SRabbelierJames--Crook: Pawel thinks it's a good idea13:58
SRabbelierJames--Crook: we already have that, yup13:58
* James--Crook nods13:58
SRabbelierJames--Crook: it's like, "retrieve from cache, if it's not there, fetch and put in cache, then return"13:58
SRabbelierJames--Crook: it's a simple decorator13:58
SRabbelierJames--Crook: so caching new things is really easy13:59
James--Crookuhu...  approx lifetime of a memcache item...  is it minutes or a lot shorter?14:00
SRabbelierJames--Crook: infinite, unelss we tell it less14:01
SRabbelierJames--Crook: and there's like, a 100MB size limit14:01
James--Crooknice.14:01
SRabbelierJames--Crook: or more, but that's what the GAE dude said on a talk, that it's in that order of maginitude14:01
James--Crookmore than infinite...  I like it.  :).   Ah, I see, that was the 100Mb. :)14:02
James--CrookWill there be a few days between it going on to the test site and live, or is that likely to be an extremely short interval?14:03
SRabbelierJames--Crook: yes, it was :P14:03
SRabbelierJames--Crook: between what going on?14:04
James--Crookbetween the (test of the code for) pages for accepted students going onto the test site and14:04
James--Crookthe actual results for the students going on to the live site.14:05
SRabbelierJames--Crook: oh, that should be tested as regular14:05
SRabbelierJames--Crook: e.g., ~a week in advance14:05
James--CrookOK.  Sounds good.14:05
* James--Crook hears sounds of dinner... 14:06
*** James--Crook has left #melange14:07
*** paulitex has quit IRC14:20
*** jetienne has quit IRC14:38
*** Merio has quit IRC14:53
*** tansell has joined #melange15:11
madrazrSRabbelier: some more help?15:24
SRabbeliermadrazr: sure15:24
SRabbeliermadrazr: sup?15:24
madrazrSRabbelier: when we want to display a list on a page, we return _list(...) in a view?15:25
madrazrfrom base.View?15:25
madrazrSRabbelier: if so, what do we have to do, if we want to display a list that has other content too? in my case home page document of an organization?15:27
madrazrerr..., what do we have to do, if we want to display a page that has a list and other content too? in my case home page document of an organization?15:27
*** chx is now known as chx_food15:33
*** chx_food is now known as chx15:33
SRabbeliermadrazr: you'll have to simulate what _list does15:49
SRabbeliermadrazr: which is not a lot15:50
madrazrSRabbelier: Ok, but should I simulate export too?15:50
madrazrfor public view?15:50
SRabbeliermadrazr: hmmm, no, I don't think you do15:50
SRabbelier**don't think you have to15:50
madrazrSRabbelier: Ok15:50
SRabbeliermostly you have to set the context['list'] = Lists(content)15:50
SRabbeliermadrazr: and in the template, you have to emulate list.html15:51
madrazrSRabbelier: Ok, thats not a problem, but writing template is15:51
SRabbeliermadrazr: (also not a lot of work)15:51
madrazrSRabbelier: Ok :)15:51
SRabbeliermadrazr: {% for list_number in list.lists %}<p>{% include list.nextList %}</p>{% endfor %}15:51
SRabbeliermadrazr: that should be enough :)15:51
madrazrSRabbelier: ouch! Ok15:51
madrazrSRabbelier: I am asking all these for home.html of organization. Are all these changes relevant?15:52
madrazrSRabbelier: also should I use a template tag for this?15:53
SRabbeliermadrazr: yes, they are15:53
SRabbeliermadrazr: hmmm, nah, it's that simple15:53
SRabbeliermadrazr: (just that oneliner really)15:53
SRabbeliermadrazr: no need to15:53
madrazrSRabbelier: Ok fine15:53
madrazrSRabbelier: Ok15:53
madrazrSRabbelier: thanks a lot :)15:54
SRabbeliermadrazr: np :)15:55
*** geekius_caesar has joined #melange15:56
ArthurLiuSRabbelier, what's the ETA for the fix of the disappeared but in fact inelibilized proposals ?15:56
ArthurLiuwe put rationales for the proposals we're marking ineligible, but the student can't see it, and then panick "google ate my proposal!" and then we have to tell them that we marked them ineligible...15:57
madrazrSRabbelier: the patch is ready, until Lennie's automagic lands. The loopholes I have created might come into picture after that :D16:03
SRabbeliermadrazr: aaah, nice!16:14
SRabbeliermadrazr: send it!16:14
SRabbelierArthurLiu: disapearing as in, the students can't see their own proposals if marked inellegible?16:14
ArthurLiuyes16:14
ArthurLiuor so it seems16:14
SRabbelierArthurLiu: hmmm, I see16:15
ArthurLiucan't always decipher their english..16:15
* SRabbelier chuckles16:15
SRabbelierArthurLiu: ok, got it16:15
SRabbelierArthurLiu: let me check the code :)16:15
ArthurLiuthere are plenty of them of -discuss too16:15
madrazrSRabbelier: somehow a bit scared to send it before testing well, is it Ok If I wait for Lennie, till he commits conversion of selected student_proposals to student_projects?16:15
SRabbelierArthurLiu: I stopped following -discuss16:16
SRabbelierArthurLiu: I get a daily digest16:16
SRabbelierArthurLiu: flick through the topics for a few minutes when I get it16:16
SRabbelierArthurLiu: but it's way too much noise16:16
ArthurLiu-discuss follows me :)16:16
SRabbelierArthurLiu: heheheh :P16:16
SRabbeliermadrazr: nope!16:17
SRabbeliermadrazr: send it out!16:17
madrazrSRabbelier: Ok16:17
madrazr:)16:17
SRabbeliermadrazr: that way Lennie can work with your code16:17
madrazrSRabbelier: Ok16:17
SRabbeliermadrazr: otherwise he might write up something himself instead, which would be a waste of effort :)16:17
madrazrSRabbelier: ouch! I did not tell you16:17
madrazrI have informed him about this16:17
madrazrthat I am doing16:17
SRabbeliermadrazr: ok, awesome :)16:18
SRabbeliermadrazr: anyway, send it out :)16:18
madrazrSRabbelier: fine. Will send it!16:18
SRabbeliermadrazr: awesome :)16:18
SRabbeliermadrazr: worry less about whether your code is perfect16:18
SRabbeliermadrazr: it's about being involved and writing code, not about being perfect ;)16:18
madrazrSRabbelier: ah, a big relief! thanks a lot for giving the confidence :)16:19
* madrazr sighs16:19
SRabbeliermadrazr: no worries :)16:20
SRabbeliermadrazr: I'm not perfect either you know :P16:20
SRabbeliermadrazr: I make mistakes all the time16:20
madrazrSRabbelier: hehe, no arguments! But one comment16:21
madrazrSRabbelier: if we were all perfect then we would never have a concept called Bug Tracker!16:21
SRabbeliermadrazr: very true :)16:21
madrazrSRabbelier: actually must thank you a lot. Learnt a lot. Really a h311 lot in the process of writing this patch16:23
* madrazr moves on to find next bug/feature request to work on 16:23
SRabbeliermadrazr: awesome, I'm glad to hear that :)16:24
madrazrSRabbelier: you did not get it, I suppose. That means much more bugging you ;-)16:24
* madrazr runs16:24
SRabbeliermadrazr: lol :D16:25
SRabbeliermadrazr: that's a good thing actually ;)16:25
madrazrSRabbelier: he he16:25
madrazrcoolness!16:25
madrazrSRabbelier: sent!16:28
SRabbeliermadrazr: sweeeet :)16:29
madrazrSRabbelier: I have one question for you. How does the visibility work here?16:29
madrazrAs in a documents visibility?16:29
SRabbeliermadrazr: we have a simple layered access system16:29
madrazrSRabbelier: Ok16:30
SRabbeliermadrazr: is that what you mean?16:30
madrazrSRabbelier: yeah16:30
SRabbeliermadrazr: why do you ask? anything specific?16:30
madrazrSRabbelier: I actually have an eye on issue 50516:30
madrazr:D16:30
madrazrSRabbelier: which is closed ATM16:30
madrazrhttp://code.google.com/p/soc/issues/detail?id=50516:30
tpb<http://ln-s.net/36A:> (at code.google.com)16:30
SRabbeliermadrazr: aaah, would be awesome if you could submit a patch for that!16:31
SRabbeliermadrazr: shouldn't be too hard!16:31
madrazrSRabbelier: Ok. I want to work. But was just looking at the code how it works16:31
*** madrazr1 has joined #melange16:33
*** madrazr has quit IRC16:33
*** madrazr1 is now known as madrazr16:33
madrazrSRabbelier: really sorry. We call it as 2AM problem here16:34
madrazr:)16:34
* madrazr goes to see the logs16:34
madrazrSRabbelier: back! nothing happened luckily :)16:36
madrazrSRabbelier: from what I understand now, issue 505 has something to do with rights['show'] in student_proposal.View?16:37
SRabbeliermadrazr: lol, 2am problem? :P16:37
SRabbeliermadrazr: yes, correct16:37
SRabbeliermadrazr: it should have a custom access check16:37
SRabbeliermadrazr: instead of the current one, it should be publicly accessible if a checkbox is set16:38
madrazrSRabbelier: Ok16:38
madrazrSRabbelier: this patch actually begins by creating a checkbox on student form?16:39
madrazrand then fetch the checkbox and value and manipulate rights['show']?16:39
madrazrIf I understand what you said correctly16:39
SRabbeliermadrazr: correct16:40
SRabbeliermadrazr: adding the chebkox is trivial16:40
SRabbeliermadrazr: just add a property to the student proposal model16:40
*** SRabbelier has quit IRC16:40
*** SRabbelier has joined #melange16:41
*** ChanServ sets mode: +o SRabbelier16:41
madrazrSRabbelier: ha ha, for a moment felt that 2AM problem exists there too :P16:41
SRabbeliermadrazr: lol :P16:42
SRabbelieromg16:42
SRabbelierthis is awesome16:42
SRabbelierI'm reading an article16:42
madrazrSRabbelier: most of us here are on a Broadband plan which is 2AM-8AM unlimited. So we have written small scripts to reset the connection at 2AM16:42
SRabbelierfrom coding horror16:42
SRabbelierlinked is this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bene_Gesserit#Litany_against_fear16:42
tpb<http://ln-s.net/36AI> (at en.wikipedia.org)16:42
SRabbelierDUNE FTW! :D16:42
SRabbeliermadrazr: aaah, so that you have full speed  from 2AM?16:42
madrazrSRabbelier: he he no. Most of us here are on a Broadband plan which is 2AM-8AM unlimited. So we have written small scripts to reset the connection at 2AM16:43
madrazrmany a times we forget to inform people on other side about this :(16:43
madrazrand cron does its job without fail16:43
madrazrSRabbelier: the article seems interesting, will go through it, hopefully it is not scary :P16:44
SRabbeliermadrazr: it's linked from this article, which is a lot moer interesting: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001230.html16:44
tpb<http://ln-s.net/2wmZ> (at www.codinghorror.com)16:44
madrazrSRabbelier: Oh Ok, reading16:44
SRabbeliermadrazr: cool :)16:45
madrazrSRabbelier: coming back to issue 505, how to change the access based on the newly created property?16:46
SRabbeliermadrazr: what you could do is create a new access check function16:47
SRabbeliermadrazr: and have it check if the property is set16:47
SRabbeliermadrazr: if it is, return immediately (signalling access is allowed)16:47
SRabbeliermadrazr: otherwise, call the original method that's under show right now16:47
SRabbelier(namely checkRoleAndStatusForStudentProposal )16:47
madrazrSRabbelier: Ok16:48
madrazrhow do I do the former one, I did not get it16:48
madrazr"return immediately (signalling access is allowed)"16:48
madrazr?16:48
SRabbeliermadrazr: just return :P16:49
SRabbeliermadrazr: if foo: return16:50
SRabbeliermadrazr: btw, @ your patch16:50
SRabbeliermadrazr: you forgot to include the home.html!16:50
madrazrSRabbelier: err... :(16:50
*** James--Crook has joined #melange16:50
SRabbeliermadrazr: also, it adds blog widget to student project page? :)16:50
SRabbeliermadrazr: (nice touch there)16:50
madrazrSRabbelier: Lennie asked me to do it actually16:51
madrazrSRabbelier: when I wrote a mail to him, informing that I am working on this patch, just to avoid duplication of efforts, he asked me to add this16:51
SRabbeliermadrazr: cool :)16:52
madrazrSRabbelier: it is worth right?16:52
madrazrSRabbelier: at least I like to have it, for my project page :D16:52
SRabbeliermadrazr: yup, I think it's a very nice addition!16:52
SRabbeliermadrazr: only, the student_project itself doesn't have a blog url16:53
SRabbeliermadrazr: the student entity does though16:53
madrazrSRabbelier: is it not possible to add it?16:53
madrazrSRabbelier: Oh OK!16:53
madrazrSRabbelier: will take care of it then16:53
SRabbeliermadrazr: so you can do instead of entity.feed_url something like entity.student.blog16:54
SRabbeliermadrazr: (notice that in role.py there's a blog property)16:54
madrazrSRabbelier: yeah, saw that16:54
madrazrSRabbelier: btw I was wondering what the hell was wrong with svn and why it did not track home.html changes. I was also prepared to tell you, to pester Google and other developers to switch over to git :P16:55
SRabbeliermadrazr: ok, then use that :)16:55
SRabbeliermadrazr: hehehehe :D16:55
SRabbeliermadrazr: Mercurial support is coming to code.google.com16:55
madrazrlater I realized that there was something wrong with me, forgot to svn add16:55
madrazrSRabbelier: wohoooooo!16:56
SRabbeliermadrazr: I reckon it'll be announced @ Google I/O16:56
SRabbeliermadrazr: heheh, fail ;)16:56
madrazrSRabbelier: when is that happening?16:56
madrazrSRabbelier: May 27, 28. Not bad16:56
SRabbeliermadrazr: indeed :)16:57
madrazrSRabbelier: it is really great to hear that Google did understand that there are sane RCSs too :P16:58
SRabbeliermadrazr: hehe, indeed :)17:00
SRabbeliermadrazr: and of course it had to be Hg, since that's written in python :P17:00
SRabbeliermadrazr: (and has a sane HTTP protocol)17:00
madrazrSRabbelier: ah Ok. What is the problem with git's http?17:00
madrazrSRabbelier: it is only one way, If I am correct?17:01
SRabbeliermadrazr: nah, it's functional in that you can push over HTTP if the other party uses WebDAV17:01
SRabbeliermadrazr: but it's omgslow compared to git://17:01
SRabbeliermadrazr: (still faster than svn in many cases though)17:01
madrazrSRabbelier: Oh OK17:02
ArthurLiuit's funny how you two nick-prefix your sentences, it makes all the dots aligned: http://www.milliways.fr/tmp/dots.png17:04
madrazrSRabbelier: sent again17:08
SRabbelierArthurLiu: lol, yeah :P17:09
SRabbelierArthurLiu: it's a good thing he does though, I'm reading coding horror in the meanwhile, if madrazr didn't prefix his lines with SRabbelier I wouldn't notice for another hour at least :P17:09
madrazrSRabbelier: same is true this side too :D17:10
SRabbelierArthurLiu: wait........ you posted that link before you uploaded it? :P17:10
ArthurLiutime travel :)17:10
SRabbelierArthurLiu: aaah, brainfsck!17:10
madrazrArthurLiu: it looks brilliant actually. dots game :P17:10
madrazrSRabbelier: Patch sent for issue 50517:43
madrazrcan be closed permanently now :D17:44
SRabbeliermadrazr: whow, awesome!17:44
madrazrSRabbelier: :)17:44
SRabbeliermadrazr: heh, sweet :)17:45
SRabbeliermadrazr: +1 on that one!17:45
madrazrSRabbelier: Thanks a lot!17:45
SRabbeliermadrazr: I'll leave it to Lennie to review that one though :)17:45
SRabbeliermadrazr: oh!17:45
SRabbeliermadrazr: if you want to score major brownie points17:46
SRabbeliermadrazr: like, a +2 on your application! (j/k :P)17:46
madrazrSRabbelier: j/k?17:46
SRabbeliermadrazr: do the same for students being able to edit  their proposal17:46
SRabbelierj/k = just kidding17:46
madrazrSRabbelier: as in?17:46
SRabbeliermadrazr: students cant' edit their proposal atm17:47
madrazrSRabbelier: yeah17:47
SRabbeliermadrazr: but we want mentors to be able to allow students to do that17:47
SRabbeliermadrazr: so, slightly more difficult17:47
SRabbeliermadrazr: add a checkbox to the mentor comment form17:47
madrazrSRabbelier: Ok17:47
SRabbeliermadrazr: add the property to the student proposal too17:47
madrazrSRabbelier: Ok17:47
SRabbeliermadrazr: but, important, add it to extra_dyanexclude17:48
SRabbeliermadrazr: so that the stuent can't set it :P17:48
madrazrSRabbelier: Ok17:48
SRabbelier**student17:48
SRabbeliermadrazr: then all you have to do is write a similar check that to what you wrote earlier and use it for edit :)17:49
SRabbeliermadrazr: mail Pawel if you're going to work on it, :)17:49
SRabbeliermadrazr: it's on his TODO list :D17:49
madrazrSRabbelier: Ok17:49
SRabbelier:)17:49
madrazrSRabbelier: I will pester you if I run into problems. But I am taking it up17:49
madrazrfor brownie points. LoL!17:50
* madrazr hides17:50
SRabbeliermadrazr: go for it!!17:50
madrazrSRabbelier: sure, is it a reported issue? to refer to when I write a mail to Pawel?17:50
SRabbeliermadrazr: yes, it is, erm.... it's starred on the issue tracker by quite a few people17:51
madrazrSRabbelier: Ok17:51
madrazrwill look at it17:51
SRabbeliersweet :)17:51
madrazrSRabbelier: will do it tomorrow, if you don't mind17:51
madrazr3:30AM here17:51
madrazr:)17:51
madrazrwant some much needed sleep :P17:52
madrazrSRabbelier: but will mail right now17:52
SRabbeliermadrazr: hha, ok, go to bed then!17:52
madrazrSRabbelier: thanks. see you. good night17:52
SRabbelierg'night :)17:53
*** madrazr has left #melange17:55
*** James--Crook has left #melange18:00
*** neo7 has joined #melange18:01
neo7we can have a facility GZIP compression on the melange18:02
SRabbelierneo7: we can? nice!18:03
*** lyaunzbe has joined #melange18:03
neo7SRabbelier: ?18:03
neo7SRabbelier: it increases the site loading speed but takes away more bandwidth18:04
SRabbelierneo7: you state that we can have that18:04
SRabbelierneo7: I'm glad that we can18:04
SRabbelierneo7: since it probably means less traffic18:04
neo7yeah it means less traffic but Google is a company that can bear that cost18:05
neo7I mean that Google can bear high bandwidth cost18:05
neo7not the less traffic18:05
SRabbelierneo7: we don't have any bandwidth issues atm, CPU time is more scarce18:05
neo7:)18:06
neo7ok. yes it does require more processing of the CPU18:06
neo7SRabbelier: I was testing the site and it was too slow18:07
neo7SRabbelier: Specially for the connections like me who have just 2 Mibps downstream rate of data18:07
SRabbelierneo7: it's mostly the javascript18:08
neo7hmmm....18:08
SRabbelierneo7: we need to have someone work on disabling unneeded modules18:08
SRabbelierneo7: but us devs don't have the time currently18:08
neo7SRabbelier: yeah that can be understood18:08
neo7SRabbelier: isn't there any other way?18:09
SRabbelierneo7: any other way to do what?18:09
neo7SRabbelier: there are many people who are free till 20th18:09
neo7SRabbelier: we can contribute in the proj I hope18:10
neo7:)18:10
SRabbelierneo7: heheh, I sure hope so18:10
SRabbelierneo7: we don't really have any students  contributing patches (with the exception of those that applied to melange)18:11
neo7SRabbelier: ok... I will discuss the matter later with leslie. Rightnow I am going to sleep. its 0340 here.18:12
neo7SRabbelier: adios18:12
SRabbelierneo7: discuss what with her?18:12
neo7about contributing18:13
neo7:)18:13
SRabbelierneo7: to melange?18:13
SRabbelierneo7: you should be talking with us instead ;)18:13
neo7SRabbelier: ok18:13
neo7I will18:13
SRabbelierneo7: ok, g'night ;)18:13
neo7SRabbelier: have a good day sir.18:13
SRabbelierneo7: you too18:14
*** neo7 has left #melange18:14
Erant<@fn~SRabbelier> neo7: we don't really have any students  contributing patches (with the exception of those that applied to melange)18:22
Erant's 'cuz the code is fugly. :P18:22
SRabbelierErant: true18:23
SRabbelier:(18:23
Erantsrsly though18:23
SRabbelierErant: please to get broom noa, k?18:23
SRabbelierErant: need cleanin'18:23
ErantMostly you have to know a codebase before you can patch it18:23
ErantExcluding simple patches obv.18:23
SRabbelierErant: yup, which is why I'll take the time to help anyone to get up to speed18:24
SRabbelierErant: As long as they're willing to learn I'll teach :)18:24
Erantomg18:25
ErantYou're going to teach? Actual people?18:25
Erant:P18:25
SRabbelierErant: I already do ;)18:25
*** lfranchi has quit IRC18:25
Erantzomg18:26
*** lfranchi has joined #melange18:27
*** ScottMac has quit IRC19:04
chxhow can i contact someone who sent us a request to become an admin and i have no clue who could be ?19:07
*** dhaun has quit IRC19:10
*** geekius_caesar has quit IRC19:41
ArthurLiuchx, if you click once, you can get his full name before accept/ignore/reject20:04
ArthurLiuother than that, nothing20:04
*** solydzajs has joined #melange20:20
*** ChanServ sets mode: +o solydzajs20:20
*** SRabbelier has quit IRC20:31
*** solydzajs has quit IRC20:33
*** mithro has quit IRC21:37
*** schultmc has quit IRC21:50
*** peter_dc has joined #melange23:57
*** madrazr has joined #melange23:58

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.13.1 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!