Thursday, 2009-05-14

*** tpb has joined #melange00:00
*** ian_mac_ has quit IRC00:21
*** mithro has quit IRC01:05
*** forever has joined #melange01:09
*** dmitrig01|afk has quit IRC01:22
*** dmitrig01|afk has joined #melange01:24
*** ChanServ sets mode: +v dmitrig01|afk01:24
*** dmitrig01|afk has quit IRC01:27
*** dmitrig01|afk has joined #melange01:32
*** ChanServ sets mode: +v dmitrig01|afk01:32
*** dmitrig01|afk has quit IRC01:37
*** dmitrig01|afk has joined #melange01:40
*** ChanServ sets mode: +v dmitrig01|afk01:40
*** dmitrig01|afk has quit IRC02:16
*** florinciu has joined #melange02:59
*** solydzajs has joined #melange03:01
*** ChanServ sets mode: +o solydzajs03:01
*** schultmc1 has joined #melange03:30
*** solydzajs has quit IRC03:34
*** solydzajs has joined #melange03:36
*** ChanServ sets mode: +o solydzajs03:36
*** schultmc has quit IRC03:45
*** ankitg has quit IRC04:37
*** SRabbelier has joined #melange04:53
*** ChanServ sets mode: +o SRabbelier04:53
*** ankitg has joined #melange05:15
*** solydzajs has quit IRC05:15
*** forever has quit IRC05:37
*** Merio has joined #melange05:49
*** solydzajs has joined #melange06:16
*** ChanServ sets mode: +o solydzajs06:16
*** Erant has joined #melange06:39
*** ian__ has joined #melange07:38
*** mithro has joined #melange07:50
*** ChanServ sets mode: +v mithro07:50
*** forever has joined #melange08:24
*** Merio1 has joined #melange08:43
*** Merio2 has joined #melange08:48
*** Merio1 has quit IRC08:50
*** Merio has quit IRC08:57
*** ian__ has quit IRC09:12
*** mak89 has joined #melange09:38
*** mak89 has left #melange09:38
*** forever has quit IRC09:42
*** schultmc1 is now known as schultmc10:04
*** solydzajs has quit IRC10:07
*** ankitg is now known as ankitg|afk-food10:35
*** solydzajs has joined #melange10:56
*** ChanServ sets mode: +o solydzajs10:56
*** ankitg|afk-food is now known as ankitg11:04
*** solydzajs has quit IRC11:09
*** solydzajs has joined #melange12:15
*** ChanServ sets mode: +o solydzajs12:15
*** arvind_khadri has joined #melange12:18
*** dr__house has joined #melange12:52
*** madrazr has joined #melange13:17
*** dhaun has joined #melange13:49
*** dr__house has quit IRC14:15
*** |ajaksu| has joined #melange14:33
*** ajaksu has quit IRC14:36
*** Lennie|Andy has joined #melange14:54
Lennie|Andyanyone alive?14:54
* madrazr raises his hand14:54
* madrazr is only half alive ;-)14:54
*** ChanServ sets mode: +o Lennie|Andy14:55
Lennie|Andyhehe14:55
Lennie|Andyi have train transfer in 15min14:55
Lennie|Andyand a tunnel inc soon14:55
Lennie|Andyso i might drop out ^^14:56
Lennie|Andysrabbelier in da house?14:56
SRabbelierLennie|Andy: ofc14:56
SRabbelierLennie|Andy: meeting in 314:56
Lennie|Andyawesome14:56
Lennie|Andyill chip in where possible14:57
SRabbelierLennie|Andy: who's supposed to be attending aside from you, Pawel, me and James?14:57
Lennie|Andytunnel14:57
Lennie|Andylucky me 1 bar ^^14:57
solydzajs;-)14:58
solydzajshehe14:58
Lennie|Andymadhusudan14:58
*** James--Crook has joined #melange14:58
SRabbeliermadrazr: ping14:58
Lennie|Andyhe's the one who asked for it ^^14:58
madrazrSRabbelier: pong14:58
SRabbelierJames--Crook: hey :)14:58
Lennie|Andyhi james14:58
James--CrookSRabbelier: Hoy14:58
James--CrookLennie|Andy: hi lennie14:58
Lennie|Andystro :P14:58
Lennie|Andyhi james14:58
* SRabbelier grabs meeting notes from Tasks (which are now also in gcal, yay)14:59
Lennie|Andymeetings while traveling lol ^^14:59
SRabbelierthat is, agenda14:59
Lennie|Andywhos taking notes?14:59
SRabbelieranyone but me ^_^15:00
* James--Crook says not me15:00
* SRabbelier is horrible at taking notes :P15:00
madrazrLennie|Andy: I will do it15:00
SRabbelierJames--Crook: I was first!15:00
madrazrLennie|Andy: but need some time to put it on the Wiki15:00
Lennie|Andymad you have too much to do already :P15:00
madrazrLennie|Andy: hehe :P15:00
SRabbelierdid all read http://code.google.com/p/soc/wiki/TagsInMelange ?15:00
tpbTitle: TagsInMelange - soc - Tags in Melange - Google Code (at code.google.com)15:00
Lennie|Andysverre the notes will probably be short anway ^^15:00
madrazrLennie|Andy: crazy was Ok, but you made me mad ;-)15:01
James--CrookSRabbelier: i  did.15:01
solydzajsSRabbelier: I did15:01
* Merio2 is here too :P15:01
Lennie|Andymost of it will end up in wikiwork15:01
SRabbelierMerio2: what'd you do with Merio1?15:01
Lennie|Andymadrazr, mad15:01
Lennie|Andy?15:01
Merio2SRabbelier: ? :P15:02
SRabbelierok, let's go :)15:02
madrazrLennie|Andy: you did not complete madrazr in one of those previous sentences :P15:02
Lennie|Andyoh hehee15:02
Lennie|Andytrue15:02
madrazrLennie|Andy: can we call that epic failure? ;-)15:02
Lennie|Andysverre please take some notes, i can't take them in train ^^15:03
Lennie|Andyletts roll?15:03
solydzajsCan we focus on the meeting ? I don't want this meeting to take another hour15:03
SRabbeliersolydzajs: chill, we haven't even started :P15:03
Lennie|Andymadhu, i have many epic fails ^^15:03
SRabbelier1. Why do we need tags?15:03
SRabbelierI think that is much of an open door15:03
solydzajsWe need it for different pars of melange15:03
SRabbelierIt evident from the issues in the tracker and from requests on the ML that people would like tags15:04
solydzajswe need to for GHOP tasks for sure15:04
Lennie|Andyit's good to repeat, first things on agenda aee short ^^15:04
SRabbelierBut also different forms of tags15:04
solydzajssome mentors also request tags support for Proposals in GSoC15:04
solydzajsExactly we have different forms of tags15:04
James--Crookis one of the popular feature requests for proposal tagging, is one of the popular features of orgs, is one of the important features of GHoP task iclassifying...15:04
Merio2for students who want to choose an org based on the languages they know :)15:04
SRabbelierI say that this question is already very decently covered in the wiki, no?15:04
James--Crookyes.15:04
Lennie|Andyas said good to repeat15:05
solydzajssystem official tags (predefined by Program Admin), user tags15:05
solydzajsetc15:05
James--Crookso 2.15:05
Lennie|Andyso basically there are a lot of subareas where they are needed15:05
SRabbelierFTR15:05
SRabbelier 1.1 What kind of functionality are tags going to offer?15:05
Lennie|Andywhich might mean they all need a bit different approach15:05
solydzajsMerio2: yep so in that case is tag support for Organization entities15:05
solydzajsMerio2: but yes agreed :-)15:05
solydzajsSimilar to what we can find on Issue Tracker15:06
SRabbelierand also  1.2 What would the user expect of a tagging system?15:06
solydzajsbascially autocompletion15:06
*** Merio2 is now known as Merio15:06
James--CrookNTH15:06
Lennie|Andyeasily searchable ?15:06
SRabbelierone second, being pwnd by my virus scanner's modal dialog -_-"15:06
solydzajsdepending on the tag type15:06
solydzajstag type/category15:06
SRabbelierok, good to go again :)15:06
madrazrfiltering based on tags15:07
SRabbeliermadrazr: I think that needs to be added to the wiki15:07
SRabbeliermadrazr: I don't see it mentioned yet15:07
madrazrSRabbelier: yeah15:07
solydzajsyes this is something that ajaxy table might be helpful with but it might be more complicated15:07
solydzajssince you can have many tags for one row15:08
solydzajsI'm not sure if datatable support that kind of search functionality15:08
madrazrsolydzajs: thats one of the points on Agenda15:08
James--Crooksorting and filtering are closely related...15:08
solydzajsanyway we need filtering and search for tags but this is lower priority15:08
James--Crookum.  disagree.15:09
SRabbeliermadrazr: can you add it to the wiki?15:09
solydzajswhat we need first is setting/editing of tags15:09
SRabbeliermadrazr: soritng/filtering by tags?15:09
madrazrSRabbelier: yeah OK15:09
madrazrnoted15:09
SRabbeliermadrazr: thanks15:09
James--Crooktags without filtering are not useful when you have 1000 items.15:09
SRabbelierJames--Crook: agreed, main part of the FR for tags is to be able to filter on them15:09
Lennie|Andytrue15:10
MerioFTR: http://www.datatables.net/examples/example_multi_filter.html15:10
tpb<http://ln-s.net/3Bno> (at www.datatables.net)15:10
solydzajsok so we are looking at the similar implementation as Issue Tracker aren't we ?15:10
Lennie|Andywe are not talking about implementation15:10
James--CrookI think so.15:10
MerioAll columns can be searchable at once15:10
Meriofiltered I mean15:10
Lennie|Andyjust the stuff we like to have15:10
SRabbelierMerio: ok, nice to know, add it to the wiki then :)15:11
solydzajsMerio: awesome :-)15:11
SRabbelierMerio: under 'resources' or something15:11
Lennie|Andyanything should be possible (to a certain degree) ^^15:11
MerioSRabbelier: ok15:11
solydzajsok15:11
SRabbelierok, let's move on15:11
James--CrookWe are on 1.2, what does user expect of tags.15:11
solydzajssimplicity15:11
SRabbelier2. Where will we use the tags? (Prioritize?)15:11
James--Crook:-)15:11
solydzajsso autocompletion for sure15:11
James--CrookLennie, let's have 215:11
James--Crooksorry I am behind the times :-(15:11
SRabbelierhehe :P15:12
SRabbelierI think the wiki is fairly detailed here, but needs some work15:12
James--Crookwe will use tags in the models as stated on the wiki.15:12
solydzajs1. GHOP Task Types15:12
James--CrookAnything lese need ot be said?15:12
Lennie|Andyghop org proposal?15:12
solydzajsI don't think we should use Tags for Task Statuses15:12
solydzajsjust for Task Types15:12
James--CrookI agree.15:12
Lennie|Andywe arent pawel15:12
SRabbelierJames--Crook: yes, I think we should talk about usage of tags in stats15:12
solydzajsLennie|Andy: well Tags in Melange suggests otherwise15:13
James--Crook(I would like to avoid having mutually exclusive tags in our first cut, if we can)15:13
James--Crook(therefore we use drop downs for mutually exclusive tags)15:13
James--Crook(is that going to work?)15:13
solydzajsJames--Crook: we can use autocomplete instead of drop down right ?15:13
SRabbelierJames--Crook: I think we can avoid the issue for now by making status an actual status  (a common paradigm in our code), rather than a tag15:14
solydzajsJames--Crook: I prefer autocomplete15:14
solydzajsSRabbelier: I agree15:14
James--CrookI agree too.15:14
solydzajsok awesome15:14
SRabbelierok, clear, then wiki should be updated15:14
solydzajsso15:14
solydzajs1. GHOP Task Types15:14
James--CrookSo, autocomplete is a new formatting option for drop-downs.15:14
SRabbelierJames--Crook: can you update the wiki wrt to tag usage for status?15:14
SRabbelierJames--Crook: (that is, it will not be used for that purpose)15:15
Lennie|Andyhere's a problem with tags, wgat's actually going to be part of it and whats getting its own property?15:15
solydzajs2. Tagging of Organizations15:15
solydzajs3. Tagging of Student Proposals in GSoC15:15
Lennie|Andyyou can't just smack a tag on everything,,15:15
James--CrookBest if one person does the immediate post-meeting updates, so I'll update some time tomorrow if I don't see it there already when I look15:15
solydzajs4. Tagging Documents15:15
SRabbelierLennie|Andy: mhhh, why not? if a tag points to a LInkable it can be smacked on anything?15:15
James--Crookhere here15:16
SRabbeliermadrazr: can you do it then?15:16
madrazrSRabbelier: post meeting updates?15:16
solydzajsLennie|Andy: we are not tagging everything but only the most important models where tagging make sense15:16
SRabbeliermadrazr: yes, since you're already updating the wiki anyway :)15:16
Lennie|Andyi rather have you do it sverre, madhu has other wiki work15:17
solydzajsIn case of organization, potential GSoCers find it useful to list all orgs that are for example using C++15:17
solydzajsand this can be implemented as tag15:17
Lennie|Andyfrom other meeting15:17
madrazrSRabbelier: I will, but I want time till tomo morning. I am extremely tired today after travelling 500KMs. Have kept my eyes open just for the meeting :(15:17
Lennie|Andyand sleep15:17
SRabbeliermadrazr: ah, you shouldof said so earlier then, I'll do it instead15:17
solydzajsin case of student proposals, Org admins and Mentors find it useful to manage and organization proposals into smaller groups15:17
James--CrookThe agenda says we are to prioritise our tag application.  I therfore propose that we say (1) tagging of organisations.  (2) tagging of GHoP tasks.  My reason is15:17
madrazrSRabbelier: :)15:18
James--Crookthat we have organisations already.15:18
Lennie|Andytags is for descriptive purposes only?15:18
solydzajsIn case of Tagging on documents we get similar functionality as we have on code.google.com with tagging for wiki pages15:18
Lennie|Andythe rest gets its own propertty? priorities look good15:18
solydzajsJames--Crook: I think tagging of GHOP tasks is the highest priority now15:19
SRabbeliersolydzajs: but there's no GHOP tasks yet :D15:19
James--Crook..fine if we have the model in place by the time we get to tagging...15:19
solydzajsok :-)15:19
James--CrookSo let's swap the order I suggested.15:19
solydzajsok15:19
James--CrookAnd assume we WILL have the model by th etime we get to tags.15:19
solydzajswhere do we need tags other than orgs, tasks, proposals, docs ?15:20
SRabbeliermentors, students15:20
SRabbelierto put them into groups15:20
James--CrookSo, we know where we will use tags and we know what priority we are giving to implementing them.  Can we move on to 3?15:20
James--Crooksolydzajs: see wiki...15:21
SRabbelierack15:21
SRabbelier3. Ideas on implementation:15:21
SRabbelier 3.1 How will we filter on tags?15:21
SRabbelierthis ties into what we discussed already15:21
SRabbelierit's important that we can filter on tags, but where and how?15:22
solydzajsSRabbelier: I didn't see mentors and students tagging on the wiki page15:22
SRabbeliersolydzajs: I will add them15:22
James--CrookI see a big choice in implementation.15:22
solydzajsSRabbelier: ok15:22
James--Crooksolydzajs: http://code.google.com/p/soc/issues/list?can=1&q=%22425%22&sort=id&colspec=ID+Summary15:22
tpb<http://ln-s.net/3Bo3> (at code.google.com)15:22
James--Crookthere was a link to that on the iwki.15:22
solydzajsJames--Crook: got it thx15:22
madrazrSRabbelier: more importantly, how and where do we store tags? i.e how do we associate tags with the above said entities like org, tasks, proposals ...15:22
James--CrookOjh, sorry, yes good point.15:22
SRabbeliermadrazr: that's  3.2 How will we store the tags for each functionality/entity/tagname?15:22
James--CrookI think student and mentor tagging is good too, but lower priority.  Agree?15:23
SRabbelierJames--Crook: aye15:23
Lennie|Andytransfer15:23
solydzajsyes15:23
madrazrSRabbelier: ah Ok :)15:23
solydzajsok so filtering on tags can be achieved with ajaxy table (datatable)15:23
MerioSRabbelier: how we filter depends on how we store them :P Or not? :)15:23
SRabbelierMerio: good point15:23
James--CrookMerio: Possibly not.15:23
solydzajsor using GQL queries on backend15:24
James--CrookSince we can rejig how we process through using clever code.15:24
SRabbelierlet's for now assume that we will implement filtering by means of our ajax list?15:24
solydzajsok15:24
SRabbelierso how do we store these tags?15:24
MerioSRabbelier: but we might need filtering also all-backend side15:24
James--CrookWe have a choice.15:24
SRabbelierdo we want a ListProperty in the entity15:24
James--CrookMerio: yes.  Agree.15:25
SRabbelieror do we want an actual tag object?15:25
SRabbelierMerio: yes, true15:25
James--CrookI think we want a tag model which can decorate any model.  But I could be convinced otherwise.15:25
SRabbelierJames--Crook: it would be a lot less efficient though15:25
James--CrookThe thinking is that we have a many-tag-to-one record mapping.15:25
SRabbelierJames--Crook: there's no JOIN support in GAE15:25
James--CrookI know.15:26
SRabbelierJames--Crook: so we cannot filter on tags in one query if we put them in a separate model15:26
solydzajsSRabbelier: well it depends I would suggest we have a look at some Tagging support for GAE in other projects that are open source, I will give you a link in a minute15:26
Lennie|Andyback15:26
James--CrookBut we also need to be careful of index explosion if we put them in the models.15:26
James--Crooksolydzajs: +115:26
SRabbelierJames--Crook: mhhh, true15:26
James--CrookCan someone 'volunteer' to look (like Pawel suggested)15:26
Lennie|Andythat's when ajax list comes in ?15:26
James--Crookplease?15:27
James--CrookLennie|Andy: yes ajax to the rescue.  I know I could do it client side.15:27
SRabbelierso, we said earlier15:27
SRabbelierthat we might want to filter on tags server side15:27
SRabbelierbut the only use case for that that I can think of is statistics15:27
James--CrookMerio please chime in here...15:28
SRabbelierand I think that stats don't really need to filter, they just need to "group"15:28
Lennie|Andyyou can filter on list properties?15:28
SRabbelierLennie|Andy: only if indexed, no?15:28
James--CrookSRabbelier: +1, just group.  Even just sort.15:28
Lennie|Andylist of keys?15:28
SRabbelierLennie|Andy: yes, but not if you're also doing "__key__ >= " in the same query15:28
Lennie|Andytrue15:29
James--CrookI want to come back to the idea that someone should look at how tags work in other GAE projects.15:29
MerioJames--Crook: I'm thinking :)15:29
Lennie|Andyif its only stats then its fine15:29
James--CrookBy actually looking at existing implementations we see some of the advantages and disadvantages.15:29
Lennie|Andythe rest should be working client side15:29
SRabbelierLennie|Andy: +1 on that15:29
SRabbelierJames--Crook: and +1 on that too15:29
SRabbeliersolydzajs: can you paste us the link?15:30
solydzajsSRabbelier: searching for it one sec15:30
James--CrookWhere I am currently at, I believe I know how to get the Tags in one model working.  I'm not sure I know how to do it with tags in each model.15:31
Lennie|Andyhmm15:31
James--CrookThe main objection to tags in one model seems to be that it *forces* us client side.15:32
solydzajsok guys15:32
solydzajshere we go:15:32
solydzajs1. gaegene15:32
solydzajshttp://www.gumption.com/blog/gaegene/15:32
tpbTitle: The Gumption Blog · Gaegene (at www.gumption.com)15:32
solydzajs    * gaegene.tagging15:33
solydzajs          o Provides a mix-in class to help implement tags.15:33
Lennie|Andyid suggest to also mail that list15:33
solydzajshttp://blog.giftag.com/2009/01/23/gaegene-released/15:33
James--Crook..looking..15:33
tpb<http://ln-s.net/3Bo9> (at blog.giftag.com)15:33
Meriome too15:33
solydzajsbut I think GeneTaggable is still under development15:33
solydzajshttp://bitbucket.org/gumptioncom/gaegene/wiki/Home15:33
tpb<http://ln-s.net/3Bo$> (at bitbucket.org)15:33
solydzajs2. cpedialog15:34
solydzajshttp://code.google.com/p/cpedialog/15:34
tpbTitle: cpedialog - Google Code (at code.google.com)15:34
solydzajsblog engine for GAE that supports tags15:34
solydzajs3. taggable-mixin15:34
solydzajson Apache 2.0 :-)15:34
solydzajsA mixin class that adds taggability to Google AppEngine Model classes.15:34
solydzajsTaggable provides a Python mixin class that you can add to any class that already inherits from Google AppEngine's db.Model class. Tags are stored efficiently in a separate Model, and any number of Models can use Taggable simultaneously.15:34
Meriofor gaegene see => http://bitbucket.org/gumptioncom/gaegene/src/tip/tagging/models.py15:34
tpb<http://ln-s.net/3Bo+> (at bitbucket.org)15:34
solydzajsthat is all I got15:35
Lennie|Andycan you mail it as well15:35
Lennie|Andy?15:35
solydzajswhoever is taking notes please include those links in the meeting notes :-)15:35
solydzajsthanks in advance15:35
James--CrookAnyone worked out which approach they are using yet?15:36
James--Crook[I sure haven't]15:36
solydzajsLennie|Andy: I know you are on Andy and IRC client probably doesn't support links so I will mail it to you15:36
SRabbeliersolydzajs: no, please mail it to the list15:36
Lennie|Andyi have links but not enough skill to read them on andy ^^15:36
solydzajsSRabbelier: well then put them in the meeting notes15:37
solydzajsSRabbelier: I will mail them to the list but can you also include them in meeting notes ?15:37
SRabbeliersolydzajs: I don't want to have to do that, since you already have a pastable list, I don't want to scour to irc logs15:37
Lennie|Andy+115:37
Lennie|Andylets go15:37
Lennie|Andyso15:37
James--CrookMerio - thanks, your link looks the most helpful so far.15:37
Lennie|Andywe need to do research on how to implement it?15:38
MerioThere are also tests, perhaps you more python skilled can figure out how it works :) => http://bitbucket.org/gumptioncom/gaegene/src/tip/tagging/tests.py15:38
tpb<http://ln-s.net/3BoB> (at bitbucket.org)15:38
Lennie|Andy^^15:38
solydzajsSRabbelier: ok will do15:38
Meriowell.. GAE modeling skilled also... ^_^15:38
SRabbeliersolydzajs: thanks, appreciated15:39
James--CrookLennie|Andy: +1 on 'we need to do research...'15:39
Lennie|Andyk15:40
solydzajshttp://code.google.com/p/taggable-mixin/15:40
tpbTitle: taggable-mixin - Google Code (at code.google.com)15:40
James--Crook... leading to http://code.google.com/p/taggable-mixin/source/browse/trunk/taggable.py15:41
tpb<http://ln-s.net/3BoE> (at code.google.com)15:41
SRabbeliersolydzajs: that one looks useful: http://code.google.com/p/taggable-mixin/source/browse/trunk/taggable.py15:41
tpb<http://ln-s.net/3BoE> (at code.google.com)15:41
Lennie|Andycan we add tags research report to our allhands meeting?15:41
SRabbeliersee http://code.google.com/p/taggable-mixin/source/browse/trunk/taggable.py#134 for 'usage'15:41
tpb<http://ln-s.net/3BoF> (at code.google.com)15:41
solydzajsSRabbelier: yep15:41
solydzajsLennie|Andy: yes15:41
SRabbelier 3.3 How will we allow the user to add their own tags? 15:42
Lennie|Andydo we even have an agenda for that yet?15:42
MerioFor cpedialog => http://code.google.com/p/cpedialog/source/browse/trunk/cpedialog/model.py15:42
tpb<http://ln-s.net/3BoG> (at code.google.com)15:42
James--CrookOK.  I volunteer to have a look at taggable.py and try and get my head around it (even though I don't yet know python) and report back within 1 week.15:42
solydzajsSRabbelier: I think we will either use gaegene or taggable-mixin those are generic solutions15:42
James--Crooktaggable is looking good to me.15:43
Merio(some usage from cpedialog here => http://code.google.com/p/cpedialog/source/browse/trunk/cpedialog/blog.py)15:43
tpb<http://ln-s.net/3BoH> (at code.google.com)15:43
SRabbelierMerio: that one uses ListProperty, cool, now we have examples from both sides :)15:43
SRabbelierJames--Crook: cool, thanks15:43
James--CrookOK.  So 3.3. is a UI question, no?15:44
Lennie|Andykinda apparently15:44
SRabbelierLennie|Andy: what do you mean with "kinda apparently"?15:44
Lennie|Andyjust a small brainstorm15:44
madrazrLennie|Andy: we thought of having a text box with comma separated tags right?15:44
solydzajsSRabbelier: email with links sent15:44
SRabbeliersolydzajs: thanks!15:44
Lennie|Andyno huge discussion ^^15:44
Lennie|Andymadrazr for custom yeah, autocompletion+dropdown for set?15:45
solydzajsok so what next ?15:45
SRabbelierMerio: is a "text box with comma seperated tags" easy to autocomplete?15:45
Merioautocompletion ftw ^__^15:45
SRabbeliersolydzajs:  3.3 How will we allow the user to add their own tags? 15:45
Lennie|Andyyes15:45
Lennie|Andyyou forgoyt?15:45
madrazrLennie|Andy: I seriously think Auto completion for finite set of tags is an overkill15:45
Lennie|Andythe currenty autocomplete has that :P15:45
MerioSRabbelier: js side is only a matter of exploding the string to an array and search on it15:46
James--Crook10,000 is finite. :-)15:46
solydzajsSRabbelier: hmm for example how will allow Program Admin to set the tags that will be available for Task Types ?15:46
James--Crooks/finite/small/15:46
solydzajsSRabbelier: we are talking about some kind of add/edit/remove.list view ?15:46
James--Crooksolydzajs: sounds good to me.  Known territory?15:46
SRabbelierLennie|Andy: ^^15:46
SRabbelierLennie|Andy: can you answer that?15:46
Lennie|Andyhmm madhu has ideas15:47
James--Crooklet's hear them...15:47
Lennie|Andymultiselect, and per tag removal button or something15:47
madrazrLennie|Andy: you mean the links I showed you the other day?15:48
Lennie|Andyhe gave some issue tracker example 2 weeks ago15:48
James--Crookthis is for adding tags to an object, right, not pawel's q of defining the list of available tags?15:48
madrazrLennie|Andy: ah just a min15:48
Lennie|Andyyeah you drew inspiratioon from that right?15:48
madrazrLennie|Andy: yeah15:48
SRabbeliersolydzajs: FTR, you said "I will review their implementation in the upcoming days", James--Crook volunteered to review taggable15:48
Meriomadrazr: can you give the links of the examples? :)15:48
madrazrLennie|Andy: but that was for filtering no?15:48
Lennie|Andyyes james true ^^, for adding we need nothing special?15:49
madrazrhere is the link15:49
madrazrhttps://bugs.kde.org/query.cgi15:49
tpbTitle: Find a Specific Bug (at bugs.kde.org)15:49
Lennie|Andyit could just auto add15:49
solydzajsSRabbelier: ok then I will quickly have a look at taggable and focus on gaegene :-)15:49
SRabbeliersolydzajs: ok, neat :)15:49
James--CrookLennie|Andy: you asked me a question, but I don't understand.15:50
Lennie|Andyhmm15:50
Lennie|Andyfor adding custom tags?15:50
Lennie|Andyor do you want to discuss the category czar?15:50
James--CrookFor adding custom tags my opinion is that it is a list that we can add on to the end of.  Known territory.15:50
James--CrookI now think category czar is a choice we can probably make later.15:51
Lennie|Andyok15:51
Meriowhat's category czar?15:51
SRabbelierMerio: see wiki :)15:51
SRabbelierMerio: (bottom of page)15:51
James--CrookI think for GHoP students can't add (public) tags.15:51
Lennie|Andyat the bottom of wiji15:51
Lennie|Andywiki*15:52
James--Crook[Lh was worried about obscenity and such, and rightly so]15:52
Lennie|Andytrue15:52
Lennie|Andylets have it for mentors/oa first15:52
James--Crook+115:52
MerioSRabbelier: thx15:52
SRabbelier4. Rough planning of tag support15:53
Lennie|Andyresearch all-hands?15:53
James--CrookSRabbelier: I think it is likely to be a case of who gets there first.15:54
SRabbelierLennie|Andy: ack15:54
James--CrookGHoP can almost be run without tags at all, they are a very big nice to have.15:54
Lennie|Andymost of the "tags" are a choice property15:55
Lennie|Andystatus and type15:55
James--CrookIf we hit a major stumbling block with indexing and tags, we're still OK for GHoP.15:55
Lennie|Andywe can atleast try15:55
SRabbelierJames--Crook: true, yes15:56
solydzajsOk so research for all-hands and during all hands meeting we can decide which solution we are going to use and how much time it will take to adopt it15:56
solydzajshow does that sound ?15:56
solydzajsJames--Crook: I agree too :-)15:56
James--CrookI think tags are very important for making Melange pleasant to use.  So many user desired features follow from a well implemented tags.15:56
Lennie|Andydepending on if we can make a decision sure15:56
Lennie|Andytrue james15:57
Meriojust for info: Are there "public" meetings or notes planned during the all-hands?15:57
solydzajsYes I think we can make a decision, I think it will be either gaegene or taggable or some parts of those projects with some customization from our side15:57
James--CrookI would like our research also to extend out into user experience (though maybe not for the all-hands meeting), i.e. looking at what needs to happen in ajaxy terms for UI.15:57
solydzajsMerio: yes15:57
Lennie|Andythe list is a popular issue15:58
SRabbelierJames--Crook: yes, we really need to figure out how to implement this to make it well usable15:58
Meriosolydzajs: ok, just because I would like to participate on tags topic, it's an exciting feature :)15:58
James--Crook+115:59
Lennie|Andywe can dial you in on skype merio if needed15:59
Lennie|Andywe already had a good idea for the 1000 entity with ajax fix15:59
Lennie|Andybut that was offlist15:59
James--CrookLennie|Andy: relevance to tags?15:59
MerioLennie|Andy: that would be cool16:00
Lennie|Andyrelevant to ajax list16:00
Lennie|Andywhich would make tags filterable16:00
Lennie|Andythats the red wire ^^16:00
James--CrookOk.16:00
Lennie|Andyatleast we hope it will solve our filtering problem ^^16:01
James--Crooksorting => filtering.16:01
Lennie|Andythats also schelduled for allhands for discussion afaik16:01
Lennie|Andyso we certainly need you merio :P16:01
James--Crook'=>' stands for 'implies'16:01
Lennie|Andyi gotta get out of this bus16:02
Lennie|Andybut i have one more question afterwards16:02
Lennie|Andybrb16:02
James--CrookSo, are we done on '4. rough planning of tag support'?16:02
solydzajsyes I think we are done16:03
solydzajsanything else on the agenda ?16:03
SRabbelierJames--Crook: yes, I think lennard can ask his question during this next item16:03
SRabbelier5. Round of questions16:03
SRabbelierMerio, madrazr: do you two have any questions?16:03
madrazrI have one16:03
madrazris it still a good idea to provide auto completion for tags like Task Types?16:03
James--CrookI would like to know if anyone has a favourite tagging site.  At the moment gmail mail tagging and delicious look the nicest examples.16:04
madrazrwhich becomes so simple if we provide a drop down?16:04
madrazrJames--Crook: GMail is my favourite :P16:04
SRabbelierJames--Crook: I'm =1 on GMail16:04
SRabbelier+116:04
James--Crookmadrazr: I think that depends on number of tags....  < 7 then I think not.  More than 12 then probably yes.16:04
madrazrJames--Crook: when a set of tags are pre-defined, say by Program Admin it will be usually very less16:05
madrazrsay 12 max16:05
James--CrookI think we will need it at some point, because we will have more than 12 tag types for some objects.16:05
solydzajsmadrazr: I think it is a good idea16:06
Merioto me it depends also on how you're filling the rest of the form... if it's more mouse-centered then a dropdown is ok not to have to use the keyboard to do the autocompletion... the inverse is also true however16:06
Lennie|Andyok, i asked this before will we use tags for descriptions only?16:06
James--CrookFor GHoP we can get away without it.  But I think we should just go ahead and implement it anyway, since we already did so for the picklist of mentors, and that worked really nicely.16:06
Lennie|Andynot for state like stuff on which we base access16:06
SRabbelierLennie|Andy: yes16:06
Lennie|Andythanks16:06
SRabbelierLennie|Andy: state stuff should be a 'status' property, as is current practice16:06
solydzajsI like both gmail and delicious16:07
Lennie|Andyyeah as expected16:07
Lennie|Andyi like gmail16:07
Lennie|Andynever used anything else16:07
James--CrookSo let us just check, are there other questions that people want to ask at this meeting?16:07
solydzajsok any other questions ?16:07
James--Crook(snap)16:07
James--Crookeveryone has asked all their questions?16:08
Lennie|Andyhmm16:08
SRabbelierEOM is near, since it's been an hour now16:08
Lennie|Andyare the goals for this meeting completed,16:09
Lennie|Andy?16:09
James--Crooksounds good to me.16:09
James--CrookEndOfMeeting.16:09
James--Crook==EOM16:09
solydzajsok thanks all :-)16:09
solydzajsit was a good meeting I think16:09
SRabbelierJames--Crook: right16:09
SRabbelierGoals:16:09
SRabbelierDiscuss the content on the wiki.16:09
SRabbelierDone16:09
SRabbelierGather input for refining the wiki document.16:09
SRabbelierDone16:09
SRabbelierDetermining when/who is going to do tags and if we should add it to the roadmap.16:09
SRabbelierI think we decided that tasks are nice and that we want it, so yes, it should go in the roadmap?16:10
solydzajsyes16:10
James--Crook(done in as far as we could at this stage)16:10
SRabbelierLennie|Andy: you happy?16:10
Lennie|Andyaction items?16:10
Lennie|Andythen im happy16:10
James--CrookMe to look at taggable.py and report back within a week.16:10
madrazrLennie|Andy: I have to do a small update on the wiki16:11
SRabbelierLennie|Andy: I have some things that I need to update on the wiki16:11
Lennie|Andysoly looks at gaegene16:11
James--Crookyep.16:11
SRabbeliermadrazr: when I said I'd do it I was referring to both updates, you get your sleep :)16:11
* Merio is doing nothing :P16:11
SRabbelierMerio: you need to add that link!16:11
SRabbelierMerio: as resource16:11
Lennie|Andyi'll review the wiki as well16:11
madrazrSRabbelier: thanks :)16:11
MerioSRabbelier: ehehe yep ^__^16:12
MerioSRabbelier: I'll join the wiki effort anyway :)16:12
SRabbelierok, that's it then :)16:12
SRabbelierthanks all16:12
* James--Crook wanders off to make some hot water.16:12
Lennie|Andyim leaving16:12
Lennie|Andyttyl16:12
SRabbelierJames--Crook: who are you boiling?16:12
SRabbelierLennie|Andy: cya :)16:12
*** Lennie|Andy has quit IRC16:12
madrazrBye all16:13
madrazrI am leaving too16:13
Meriobyez, back lurking :)16:13
madrazrgood night and thanks everyone16:13
SRabbeliermadrazr: you too16:13
madrazrSRabbelier: :)16:13
Meriomadrazr: good night, have a nice sleep ^__^16:13
*** madrazr has left #melange16:13
*** James--Crook has left #melange16:15
*** arvind_khadri has quit IRC17:00
*** dhaun has quit IRC17:15
*** solydzajs has quit IRC17:15
*** Merio has quit IRC17:41
*** Merio has joined #melange17:41
*** jbailey has quit IRC17:43
*** jbailey has joined #melange17:45
*** irc.freenode.net sets mode: +o jbailey17:45
*** Merio has quit IRC18:59
*** penyaskito has joined #melange19:02
*** penyaskito has quit IRC19:13
*** penyaskito has joined #melange19:13
*** SRabbelier has quit IRC19:14
*** penyaskito has quit IRC19:14
*** penyaskito has joined #melange19:14
*** florinciu has quit IRC19:44
*** |ajaksu| is now known as ajaksu19:56
*** mithro has quit IRC20:08
*** tansell-laptop has joined #melange21:05
*** tansell-laptop has quit IRC21:06
*** tansell-laptop has joined #melange21:06
*** tansell-laptop has quit IRC22:03
*** tansell-laptop has joined #melange22:12
*** forever has joined #melange22:18
*** ian__ has joined #melange22:36
*** dmitrig01|afk has joined #melange22:42
*** ChanServ sets mode: +v dmitrig01|afk22:42
*** ian__ has quit IRC22:42
*** dbentley-laptop has joined #melange23:16
*** tansell_laptop has joined #melange23:44
*** tansell-laptop has quit IRC23:44
*** forever has quit IRC23:58

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.13.1 by Marius Gedminas - find it at mg.pov.lt!