Sunday, 2016-08-07

*** tpb has joined #timvideos00:00
*** Bertl_oO is now known as Bertl_zZ02:14
mithropring cr1901 / cr1901_modern102:24
cr1901mithro: Hi! Yes, I'm currently petsitting for a week, and I couldn't bring my minispartan with me. I'll be making a trip home tomorrow tho so I can further debug from last time02:25
mithrocr1901: I'd like to give your counter stuff a go on my atlys/opsis boards here02:26
cr1901mithro: The counter itself should work fine. I can make a patch (sans the minispartan stuff) and show you how to add it into your code02:27
mithrocr1901: That would be awesome02:28
cr1901mithro: Shall I continue looking into minispartan woes as well? I mean, I'm going to need to get it working anyway02:28
mithrocr1901: I think we need to get on _florent_ getting the litedram stuff merged02:29
mithrocr1901: I'm pretty sure hasn't been updated to his latest stuff, right?02:29
tpbTitle: GitHub - enjoy-digital/scarab-soc: ScarabHardware miniSpartan6+ SoC based on Migen/MiSoC (at
cr1901mithro: That may be true as well, but there is DEF some EDID woes as well02:29
mithrocr1901: I disable the ability to write the lm32 firmware onto the SPI flash for the moment - it was breaking the opsis/atlys boards because it loads the firmware contents into the dram and tries to run it from there02:30
cr1901mithro: Okay, I'll take a look. Something important tho: flterm doesn't really play nicely with Windoze, so I've always been trying to flash onto the ROM.02:32
cr1901mithro: My copy of target/ in hdmi2usb vs scarab-soc is *not* that drastically different as of this moment02:32
mithrocr1901: Hrm? You mean you have been flashing to the SPI flash?02:32
cr1901mithro: Yes, this whole time02:32
* cr1901 backs up slowly and runs02:35
mithrocr1901: Nah, that is fine02:37
mithrocr1901: Although I'd like to know why flterm isn't working for you02:38
cr1901mithro: I'll have to check when I get home tomorrow (I'll only be there from about 10 to 5)02:38
cr1901I don't remember the details02:38
mithrocr1901: Okay02:39
mithrocr1901: Are you able to get the pull request bit done before tomorrow?02:39
cr1901mithro: I have access to the repo remotely. Let's see what I can do...02:41
mithrocr1901: Thanks!02:47
cr1901mithro: This is gonna have to wait till morning thanks to line ending bullshit thinking EVERY file has been modified03:31
cr1901I only set up (S)FTP access to my machine :/. Lesson learned03:32
mithrocr1901: Okay03:32
mithroCarlFK: are you going to be in a position to test VGA capture over the next couple of days?03:54
CarlFKmithro: right now I only have an opsis and the vga-atlys board.  my atlys are all being shipped back, should arrive in 2 or 3 days (mon or tues)03:56
mithroCarlFK: okay, so that is no then :P03:58
mithroCarlFK: well, atleast until later in the week03:59
CarlFKmithro: oh wait.. I take that back.   I brought an atlys with me.  so yeah, I can do something in about 12 hours (11p tonight, im beat04:00
mithroCarlFK: well, don't have anything to test right this second04:00
mithroCarlFK: but might in about 12 hours04:01
mithroCarlFK: depends on if Rohit gets a chance to do hacking today or not04:01
xfxfmithro: i'll message you here instead of disturbing you constantly, reply when you're free05:04
xfxfthe gamma edid patch is still in, but i still think the gamma is wrong05:04
xfxfi'll have a deeper look, but do you remember the thing we had that was causing crashes?05:04
xfxfi.e. how would i reproduce?05:05
xfxf(my laptop runs gnome 3 and it's working fine)05:05
mithroxfxf: I'm pretty sure it was only older versions of gnome 305:06
mithroxfxf: Maybe take a look at and
tpbTitle: Web Based EDID Reader (at
*** rohitksingh has joined #timvideos06:59
rohitksinghmithro: ping07:08
mithrorohitksingh: pong!07:08
rohitksinghmithro: this build failed because timvideos:master doesn't have gateware merged yet.
tpbTitle: Travis CI - Test and Deploy Your Code with Confidence (at
mithrorohitksingh: That is saying you are trying to merge something which has dependencies no in that pull request07:10
rohitksinghmithro: and I think we can try your fix...we can run OVDD from 3.3V rails directly and run other sensitive PLL supplies etc from 5V07:11
mithrorohitksingh: yeah07:11
mithrorohitksingh: but lets hold off on that07:11
mithrorohitksingh: one thing at a time :P07:11
rohitksinghmithro: yes I missed the fact that travis will fail07:11
mithrorohitksingh: You only have one pull request open at the moment?07:12
rohitksinghmithro: 2. This one also Can you see if this can be merged or not. Doesn't have any dependency, and have fixed everything discussed in the comments thread. Its gateware only code07:13
tpbTitle: Initial gateware code for VGA capture by rohit91 · Pull Request #215 · timvideos/HDMI2USB-misoc-firmware · GitHub (at
mithrorohitksingh: Oh - I missed it because it is below all the other WIP requests07:15
rohitksinghmithro: oh. can you take a look at it now. I will fix any issues on those 2 commits.07:18
mithrorohitksingh: Is there any reason not to have #279 as part of #215?07:28
*** cr1901 has quit IRC07:28
rohitksinghmithro: Initially I did that itself, but I thought we might need some discussion on atlys_video target, like we are having now about 3.3V tolerant Ethernet. that's why :p07:30
rohitksinghmithro: I can add it to #215 if you want07:31
mithrorohitksingh: I think that is the right move here07:32
rohitksinghmithro: okhay i'll add it to #215 after lunch. having lunch right now.07:33
*** cr1901 has joined #timvideos07:43
mithrorohitksingh: Could you take a look at and tell me what you think? I'm just trying to make the buttons clearable bit now08:11
tpbTitle: Support LEDs, Switches and Buttons on Atlys (plus improve VCCB2 support). by mithro · Pull Request #280 · timvideos/HDMI2USB-misoc-firmware · GitHub (at
rohitksinghmithro: okay08:11
rohitksinghmithro: Excellent. Its much flexible now that we can configure individual banks' IOStandards.08:30
rohitksinghmithro: why did we remove encoder's leds though?08:31
xfxfCarlFK: what do you do in production, run dvsmon or screen?09:08
xfxf(in terms of auto-restarting things)09:08
mithrorohitksingh: It seems to fail if you have the leds in two modules09:14
rohitksinghmithro: yeah. it will fail. I was just unsure of why not just have only 6 higher/lower bits of leds controllable from registers, unless of course we need all 8 bits...09:18
mithrorohitksingh: we can look at reenabling that functionality in the future09:21
rohitksinghmithro: yeah we can do that09:22
mithrorohitksingh: I'm going to fix this so we have two seperate pull requests here09:23
mithrorohitksingh: Can you take a careful look over 280 now? It just contains the IO standard fixes now (Check that banks and stuff match). If you think it looks good, can you comment on it?09:38
rohitksinghmithro: sure09:41
mithrorohitksingh: Then I think we should rebase your VGA stuff on top of that IO standard fixes09:42
rohitksinghmithro: yeah. only platform file will get modified09:43
*** ssk1328 has joined #timvideos09:43
ssk1328mithro: In the conversation, we had here,, I said no, but I am actually combining two sinks into a single source in the updated VTG module09:45
ssk1328mithro: Here
tpbTitle: HDMI2USB-misoc-firmware/ at float-arithmetic · ssk1328/HDMI2USB-misoc-firmware · GitHub (at
ssk1328mithro: Or the other way would be to combine the two two streams into a single layout even before they arrive at VTG module09:48
mithrossk1328: So this code -> should join the two streams together?09:49
tpbTitle: HDMI2USB-misoc-firmware/ at float-arithmetic · ssk1328/HDMI2USB-misoc-firmware · GitHub (at
ssk1328mithro: Yes09:49
ssk1328mithro: Payload from two sinks is getting connected to payload of one source09:50
mithrossk1328: I think you should extract the piece of code which has two sinks and one source - then you can do a testbench for that module09:50
mithrossk1328: Looking at that code, I'm not certain the stb/acks are being combined / asserted in the right way09:50
ssk1328mithro: You mean here
tpbTitle: HDMI2USB-misoc-firmware/ at float-arithmetic · ssk1328/HDMI2USB-misoc-firmware · GitHub (at
mithrossk1328: Yeah - I don't think what that is doing is right?09:52
ssk1328mithro: The default is doing something like this
tpbTitle: HDMI2USB-misoc-firmware/ at master · timvideos/HDMI2USB-misoc-firmware · GitHub (at
mithrossk1328: yeah - I think that is fine when you only have one source09:53
mithrossk1328: but when you have two sources you are pulling from, things are more complicated09:54
ssk1328mithro: You mean a different logic at the if condition or some more changes elsewhere?09:54
mithrossk1328: both I think09:54
mithrossk1328: but I'm unsure09:54
ssk1328mithro: Maybe I can use a something to pack the tokens before arriving at VTG module09:55
mithrossk1328: Once you have a two sources -> one sink combinder object, you should be able to have minimal changes to the VTG module09:55
ssk1328mithro: So I won't have to play with VTG09:55
mithrossk1328: Yeah09:55
ssk1328mithro: Yeah, excatly09:55
tpbTitle: Dataflow Migen X documentation (at
ssk1328mithro: I can maybe use a pack before VTG09:56
mithrossk1328: I'm unsure from the description - but I think that only operates from one sink09:57
ssk1328mithro: Oh09:57
mithrossk1328: IE it takes an 8bit @ 100 MHz and converts it to 32bit @ 25MHz type thing09:58
ssk1328mithro: Yeah, its different09:58
mithroYou want something which takes 2 separate [email protected] streams and generates a [email protected] stream09:59
ssk1328mithro: Yes, that I understood10:00
rohitksinghssk1328: I think you should use this one this seems to be the one which combines tokens10:00
tpbTitle: Dataflow Migen X documentation (at
ssk1328rohitksingh: Seems correct for the use here10:02
ssk1328rohitksingh: I will check this out10:02
rohitksinghssk1328: great10:03
rohitksinghmithro: we can map banks directly with pins no?10:10
tpbTitle: Rework IO standards for Atlys board by mithro · Pull Request #280 · timvideos/HDMI2USB-misoc-firmware · GitHub (at
rohitksinghmithro: for example, i'm not sure of whether pin L15 is actually on bank 1 unless I check in datasheet10:11
mithrorohitksingh: there are comments above it10:25
rohitksinghmithro: oh. diff wasn't showing them :p with comments directly placed above, it is okay then10:27
mithrossk1328: The Combinator the rohit pointed too does seem like the right thing to be using here11:01
mithrorohitksingh: Looking at the VGA pull request, there isn't any lm32 firmware code to use this yet?11:15
rohitksinghmithro: yeah this pull request is only for gateware. This one is easier to merge, and has no conflicts....I'll create new pull request for will require much close review thats why11:17
mithrorohitksingh: Okay11:18
rohitksinghmithro: you told me to review cas stuff...I can't find it anywhere now except this -> and there is an invalid literal "10ms" which github has also flagged11:22
tpbTitle: Finishing the TODO that make buttons set and then clearable. · timvideos/[email protected] · GitHub (at
mithrorohitksingh: Already fixed ->
tpbTitle: HDMI2USB-misoc-firmware/ at control-n-status · mithro/HDMI2USB-misoc-firmware · GitHub (at
mithrorohitksingh: So, it would be good to put a few extra comments into your VGA pull request11:25
mithrorohitksingh: IE Some links to the vmodvga repository and stuff would be good11:25
rohitksinghmithro: sure11:26
mithrossk1328: any luck?11:27
*** andi-m has quit IRC11:39
rohitksinghmithro: now that we are using 3.3 iostandard for ethernet, I think I should change back atlys_video target to inherit MiniSoC again ?11:42
mithrorohitksingh: Maybe?11:44
mithrorohitksingh: I merged #28011:44
*** andi-m has joined #timvideos11:44
*** cr1901_modern has joined #timvideos11:47
rohitksinghmithro: awesome. I'll fix #215 then11:47
*** cr1901_modern1 has quit IRC11:49
mithrorohitksingh: Here is the LED/Switch/Push Button stuff in a seperate pull request ->
tpbTitle: Adding a module to allow firmware access to the LEDs, Push Buttons and Switches (on the Atlys) by mithro · Pull Request #282 · timvideos/HDMI2USB-misoc-firmware · GitHub (at
*** andi-m has quit IRC11:53
*** cr1901 has quit IRC11:55
*** Bertl_zZ is now known as Bertl12:00
*** andi-m has joined #timvideos12:04
*** cr1901 has joined #timvideos12:09
*** andi-m has quit IRC12:19
*** andi-m has joined #timvideos12:24
*** shenki has quit IRC12:25
*** shenki has joined #timvideos12:25
*** ChanServ sets mode: +v shenki12:25
*** andi-m has quit IRC12:28
*** andi-m has joined #timvideos12:33
ssk1328mithro: gateware build in progress12:41
mithrossk1328: Can you commit and push what you have so far so I can take a look at it?12:41
ssk1328mithro: Except the changes since last few hours, everything else is updated, I will push the latest code as well12:42
mithrossk1328: I want to see how you are using the Combinator thingy12:43
ssk1328mithro: Yes12:43
*** andi-m has quit IRC12:46
*** andi-m has joined #timvideos12:47
ssk1328mithro: I have defined a module myself]12:48
tpbTitle: HDMI2USB-misoc-firmware/ at float-arithmetic · ssk1328/HDMI2USB-misoc-firmware · GitHub (at
ssk1328mithro: Which is similar  to Combinator defined here
tpbTitle: migen/ at ad57f636eb95c0c0ba539fe9048266120f3f5c54 · timvideos/migen · GitHub (at
mithrossk1328: Why can't you use that one?12:49
ssk1328mithro: So instead of this I was looking at CombinatorialActor class, which I didn't was appropriate, so I wrote the class myself, and later while scanning through found this and understood this was the Combinator class rohitksingh was referring to12:50
rohitksinghmithro: shall I add vga signals in platform file to _io or _io_vccb2_3v3? currently it should go to later one12:53
mithrorohitksingh: lets go with the second one for now12:54
rohitksinghmithro: great. meanwhile can you take a look at the docstring and see if is sufficient or needs something more?12:55
rohitksinghmithro: here
tpbTitle: Initial gateware code for VGA capture by rohit91 · Pull Request #215 · timvideos/HDMI2USB-misoc-firmware · GitHub (at
mithrorohitksingh: Yeah, the comment looks like the type of stuff I was looking for - your formatting is a bit weird12:57
mithrorohitksingh: See
tpbTitle: migen/ at master · m-labs/migen · GitHub (at
mithrorohitksingh: And
tpbTitle: migen/ at master · m-labs/migen · GitHub (at
rohitksinghmithro: ohkay. hadn't seen how migen does that. I'll fix it12:58
mithrorohitksingh: Format seems to be describe a bit here ->
tpbTitle: Simple Formatting Rules (at
mithroIt's not one of the formatting systems I'm use to - I normally use the Google one for obvious reasons13:02
mithrorohitksingh: But consistency with the existing stuff is the best way to go13:02
mithrorohitksingh: I don't want you to do this now, but I think we could probably replace your current counter stuff with the VTG stuff13:04
mithrorohitksingh: some more links would be good13:04
ssk1328mithro: Finally static mixing is working! :)13:04
rohitksinghmithro: VTG is  video timing generator, right?13:05
mithrossk1328: OMG! Lets see13:05
mithrorohitksingh: yes13:05
rohitksinghmithro: okay I'll do that...btw pads are which types? lists or some migen class?13:05
mithrorohitksingh: Not sure :-P13:06
*** andi-m has quit IRC13:06
mithrorohitksingh: I'm unsure how it would need to be modified - but it already has a bunch of stuff around the data valid stuff13:06
mithrorohitksingh / ssk1328: I've been working on some ideas around how to rework a lot of the pixel / video code to make it easier to understand and have better structure ->
tpbTitle: MiSoC HDMI refactoring - Google Docs (at
mithrobasically it would be nice if we had some better primitives like "pixels" and "pixel streams" and stuff13:08
*** andi-m has joined #timvideos13:09
mithrolove your comments - still very much a WIP13:09
ssk1328mithro: This seems nice, I have always wanted to understand more of this13:10
rohitksinghmithro: yeah. i'll read it tonight...13:10
mithrossk1328: YAY! It's all lined up too13:10
ssk1328mithro: pattern mixed with input from my laptop screen extended13:10
ssk1328mithro: The brightness less, just have to change a number in gateware code13:11
rohitksinghssk1328: great job! :013:11
rohitksingh* :)13:11
ssk1328mithro: Took longer than expected! But feels good to see this :)13:11
mithrossk1328: Yeah, we really should have started down this path first rather than worrying about the mask stuff first13:11
rohitksinghbrb...have to go outside13:12
ssk1328mithro: I guess next important task is 1. to do this for all outputs; 2. Firmware for dynamic mixing13:14
mithrossk1328: I added a diagram to your Mixing doc13:19
*** rohitksingh has quit IRC13:27
mithrossk1328: Does that type of structure make sense?13:28
mithrossk1328: Basically, trying to separate out bits into separate blocks13:28
ssk1328mithro: I have a PPT to attend right now, I will be back in sometime13:31
mithrossk1328: Okay13:34
mithrossk1328: Added some more diagram which might be helpful....13:34
mithrossk1328: You should also see if you can replace your own custom thing with the inbuilt one as less code is always good13:40
*** Bertl is now known as Bertl_oO13:55
mithrowell, bed time for me14:53
CarlFKxfxf: dvsmon14:54
*** sb0 has quit IRC17:00
*** rohitksingh has joined #timvideos18:40
*** rohitksingh has quit IRC18:50
*** springermac has quit IRC18:55
*** springermac has joined #timvideos18:55
*** springermac has quit IRC19:01
*** springermac has joined #timvideos19:02
*** ssk1328 has quit IRC19:45
tpbTitle: Frequency Counter for Debugging by cr1901 · Pull Request #283 · timvideos/HDMI2USB-misoc-firmware · GitHub (at
*** cr1901 has quit IRC23:55

Generated by 2.13.1 by Marius Gedminas - find it at!