Thursday, 2014-08-14

*** tpb has joined #timvideos00:00
*** CarlFK has joined #timvideos01:02
*** ChanServ sets mode: +v CarlFK01:02
*** CarlFK has quit IRC01:06
*** CarlFK has joined #timvideos01:14
*** ChanServ sets mode: +v CarlFK01:14
*** Guest33900 is now known as tiago02:05
*** tiago is now known as Guest8799402:06
*** Guest87994 is now known as tvaz02:07
*** CarlFK has quit IRC02:12
*** mithro has quit IRC03:06
*** mithro has joined #timvideos03:08
*** ChanServ sets mode: +o mithro03:08
*** mithro_ has joined #timvideos03:50
*** ChanServ sets mode: +o mithro_03:50
*** mithro has quit IRC03:52
*** mithro_ is now known as mithro03:53
*** CarlFK has joined #timvideos04:24
*** ChanServ sets mode: +v CarlFK04:24
mithroCarlFK: ping?04:26
CarlFKmithro: 1/3 here.. PS104:40
*** Niharika has joined #timvideos04:42
*** tija has joined #timvideos05:52
*** slomo has joined #timvideos06:40
*** tija has quit IRC07:04
*** CarlFK has quit IRC07:22
*** CarlFK has joined #timvideos07:30
*** ChanServ sets mode: +v CarlFK07:30
*** slomo_ has joined #timvideos08:29
*** slomo has quit IRC08:31
*** slomo_ has quit IRC08:38
*** slomo has joined #timvideos08:50
*** slomo has joined #timvideos08:50
*** Niharika has quit IRC09:36
*** slomo_ has joined #timvideos10:51
*** slomo has quit IRC10:54
*** slomo_ has quit IRC12:13
*** slomo has joined #timvideos12:13
mithrowow, I didn't know that spawned Twitch12:15
aps-sidsyeah, saw on HN few days back12:16
aps-sidsmithro: Did you see my mail? (regarding wrapping up flumotion project)12:17
mithroaps-sids: possibly12:27
aps-sidsmithro: reply maybe :P12:34
mithroaps-sids: the email "Porting Flumotion - getting ready for submission" ?12:38
aps-sidsmithro: yes12:41
mithroaps-sids: has Carl sent you a request to do a wrap up report yet?12:41
* mithro beats CarlFK with a stick12:43
*** Niharika has joined #timvideos13:08
mithrohi Niharika14:22
mithrotechman83: ping?14:22
mithroaps-sids: ping?14:23
aps-sidsmithro: o/14:23
mithroaps-sids: did that email help?14:24
aps-sidsmithro: yes, thanks.14:24
mithroaps-sids: of course we hope you're interested in keeping working on your project after GSoC finishes14:24
NiharikaHi mithro! I deployed the app on skay14:25
NiharikaSkay´s box*14:25
NiharikaFor now.14:25
aps-sidsmithro: I surely am interested.14:25
mithroNiharika: great! has skay talked to you about doing a end of GSoC report?14:27
Niharikamithro: Not yet.14:27
mithroNiharika: okay, please ask her about it14:27
Niharikamithro: Will do.14:27
mithroaps-sids: you had a bunch of questions14:28
mithroaps-sids: about flumotion things14:28
mithroaps-sids: deinterlacing is pretty mandatory14:29
aps-sidsmithro: yeah, let me get my notebook14:29
aps-sidsmithro: yeah, I understand that. I was wondering if we can put the effects directly in pipeline here
tpbTitle: flumotion-orig/ at porting-to-gst1.0 · aps-sids/flumotion-orig · GitHub (at
mithroaps-sids: possibly, but why does changing it's location effect things?14:31
aps-sidsmithro: right now, it's being used as an effectbin where there is a caps negotiation problem. If we put directly in pipeline, they act as individual components and it works14:32
aps-sidsmithro: btw these are the videos I saved from stream without using any effects --
tpbTitle: GSoC test video files (at
mithroaps-sids: what is the negotiation problem?14:34
aps-sidsmithro: Here's a grep of debug log --   Search for "negotiation"14:36
tpbTitle: Ubuntu Pastebin (at
mithroaps-sids: did you put some prints / debugging on "class DeinterlaceBin(gst.Bin):" to see what is getting called / not called there?14:39
aps-sidsmithro: I walked through it using pdb, and thus I figured out that there is this problem if any of these effects are there14:42
mithroaps-sids: this is just a GstBin implemented in python right?14:43
mithroaps-sids: so, looking at your log the thing fails because videorate is getting data before caps negotiation happened?14:45
aps-sidsmithro: basically removing this part fixes the error  --
tpbTitle: flumotion-orig/ at porting-dvswitch · aps-sids/flumotion-orig · GitHub (at
mithroso, why is that happening?14:46
aps-sidsDon't know, I tried setting caps as well14:47
aps-sidsIf any of these effects is there, there is a negtiation issue14:47
aps-sidsmithro: also, there is this thing which might be related to this issue. does this line look wrong to you? -- (this exists before the porting started)14:49
tpbTitle: flumotion-orig/ at porting-to-gst1.0 · aps-sids/flumotion-orig · GitHub (at
mithroaps-sids: "negotiation issue" you mean you get the videorate complaining about getting data before caps?14:50
mithroaps-sids: is caps negotiation occuring at all?14:52
aps-sidsmithro: I think it's not14:52
mithroaps-sids: then, why not?14:53
mithrois ever called?14:53
tpbTitle: flumotion-orig/ at porting-to-gst1.0 · aps-sids/flumotion-orig · GitHub (at
aps-sidsyes, you're looking at wrong branch, dvswitch has a different branch
tpbTitle: flumotion-orig/ at porting-dvswitch · aps-sids/flumotion-orig · GitHub (at
mithrowhat about _replaceDeinterlacer ?14:55
mithroL197 concerns me14:56
mithrowhat is self then?14:57
aps-sidsjust a sec14:58
aps-sidsmithro: this is self,  <DeinterlaceBin object at 0x7ff55015a410 (flumotion+component+effects+deinterlace+deinterlace+DeinterlaceBin at 0x18141d0)>15:04
mithrowhy doesn't it have a self.debug?15:04
aps-sidsmithro: that's what I am not able to fidn out. it doesn't have .info, .debug like methods which other flumotion components have15:05
mithroaps-sids: where is the original code?15:06
tpbTitle: flumotion-orig/ at master · aps-sids/flumotion-orig · GitHub (at
mithroso, gst.Bin must have previously provided these methods?15:07
aps-sidsmithro: I don't thing so. These seem to be coming from flumotion15:09
mithroaps-sids: class DeinterlaceBin(gst.Bin):15:10
mithrothey must have been coming from gst.Bin because that is the only thing we inherit from? unless something is setting the methods on the class manually15:10
aps-sidsmithro: you are right15:13
aps-sidsIt's from gst.Bin and its no longer there in Gst.Bin15:13
*** rohitksingh has joined #timvideos15:14
*** slomo has quit IRC15:14
mithroaps-sids: okay15:18
mithroaps-sids: so it's probably good idea to find out where it went15:18
aps-sidsmithro: What about this line?  I think it should be colorfilter instead of colorspace.15:22
tpbTitle: flumotion-orig/ at porting-to-gst1.0 · aps-sids/flumotion-orig · GitHub (at
mithroaps-sids: yes, that seems right15:24
aps-sidsmithro: umm. you mean existing thing is right or it should be changed? this is like this since unported version15:25
mithroI think you are right in that it should be changed to colorfilter15:25
mithrootherwise when the _replaceDeInterlace is called the pipeline will be broken15:26
mithroassuming that "caps" component is passthru15:26
aps-sidsI don't know how this works in production on :|15:27
mithroaps-sids: it problem only occurs when replace deinterlace is called15:27
mithroaps-sids: and it's only means that the caps are not being correctly filtered15:29
aps-sidsmithro:   "__tim> aps-sids, I don't know where that method came from, don't remember there being a gst_bin_debug(). What does it do?"15:31
mithroaps-sids: use python inspection to find out where it comes from15:31
aps-sidsType:        method_descriptor15:32
aps-sidsString form: <method 'debug' of 'gst.Object' objects>15:32
aps-sidsDocstring:   <no docstring>15:32
aps-sidsmithro: anyway, these method are just for printing stuff15:35
mithroaps-sids: yes, your still calling it in a number of places15:36
mithroaps-sids: which probably proves those code paths are not being used15:37
mithroIE the "def _replaceDeinterlacer" is never getting called15:41
mithroaps-sids: I wonder if L196 needs a return15:44
mithroaps-sids: IE if "event_is_flumotion_reset" is returning true for the caps stuff accidently15:44
aps-sidslet me check that15:45
mithroaps-sids: it could also be15:45
*** rohitksingh1 has joined #timvideos15:45
mithroaps-sids: that you can't just for READY/PLAY state on the videorate now15:45
mithroaps-sids: IE you have to wait until after the caps where set15:45
mithrorohitksingh1: ping?15:46
*** rohitksingh has quit IRC15:46
rohitksingh1mithro: Hi!15:47
mithrorohitksingh1: how are things going?15:47
aps-sidsmithro: this is being called for 3 different events - GST_EVENT_STREAM_START, GST_EVENT_CAPS and GST_EVENT_SEGMENT15:48
aps-sidsmithro: event_is_flumotion_reset is false for all of them15:49
rohitksingh1mithro: I had gone to college today. Yesterday I soldered the main IC and remaining components. Bypass caps are left to be soldered. They are very closely placed and take much time15:49
mithrorohitksingh1: did you boot up the board and test the power supply before doing the main IC?15:51
rohitksingh1mithro: Yeah. That was the only reason why I soldered power supply first this time. Power supply is working fine15:52
mithroaps-sids: so I think your function behaves differently to the old system15:52
mithroaps-sids: what did "set_setcaps_function" use to do when the callback returned true/false?15:52
*** rohitksingh1 is now known as rohitksingh15:53
mithroaps-sids: and did it push the event any further?15:55
aps-sidsmithro: from gstreamer manual - "Sets the given setcaps function for the pad. The setcaps function will be called whenever a buffer with a new media type is pushed or pulled from the pad. The pad/element needs to update its internal structures to process the new media type. If this new type is not acceptable, the setcaps function should return FALSE. "15:55
mithroaps-sids: and how does that compare to getting called your new way?15:55
aps-sidshere setcaps is the GstPadSetCapsFunction to set.15:55
mithroaps-sids: you are not doing anything with the return code of the _sinkSetCaps function15:56
aps-sidsmithro: porting guide saya,,  "gst_pad_set_setcaps_function()    => changes to =>   GST_EVENT_CAPS in event handler"15:59
aps-sidsSo, I'm using this --
tpbTitle: GStreamer 1.0 Core Reference Manual: GstPad (at
mithroaps-sids: does the porting guide say anything more?16:00
aps-sidsmithro: nothing else about setcaps function16:01
mithroaps-sids: this is where someone like slomo / thaytan / #gstreamer can answer more16:01
mithroaps-sids: but I think you have issues in your eventfunc at the moment16:02
aps-sidsmithro: when I had asked earlier,  someone on #gstreamer said, "in your pad event handler, call the function you would pass to the set_setcaps_function when the caps event arrives"16:05
aps-sidsSo, I couldn't make anything else out of it16:05
mithroaps-sids: two parts are missing from that16:05
mithroaps-sids: your currently doing "self._srcPad.push_event(event)"16:06
mithroaps-sids: which I'm unsure if it's right16:06
aps-sidsmithro: this is from unported code. not sure if we need to remove it16:07
mithroaps-sids: so - yeah - as I said I think you have issues in that function16:08
mithroaps-sids: which is why I said I think you need a return on line 19616:08
mithroanyway, I need to head to bed16:10
NiharikaI updated my streaming-system repo and tried to do a make serve to get it running, and I ran into this error:
skayI just got that too16:16
skayI can activate the virtualenv by hand though16:17
skaygoing to read through the Makefile now to see what it is doing once it tries to activate the venv16:17
skayugh, I hate reading Makefiles16:18
CarlFKthat looks familiar16:18
skayCarlFK: it doesn't activate the virtualenv so then doesn't get to the part where it runs syncdb or runserver16:18
CarlFK  Vagrantfile16:18
tpbTitle: CarlFK/streaming-system · GitHub (at
CarlFKthere is still something not right else it would have been merged16:19
skayoh I remember some of this -- the python 2.6 is hard coded16:21
skaywhich I don't have installed16:22
skayoh hell, I hate reading this makefile16:24
skayI'm vaguely remembering more of it16:24
skaydoes this require me to be running bash?16:26
skayI can't remember if [ -f filename ] works in zsh or if there needs to be [[16:26
skayNiharika: I'm going to try using CarlFK's Vagrantfile to see if that just works16:30
Niharikaskay: Okay! Tell me if it does.16:30
skayNiharika: hold on a bit. I'm talking to CarlFK in person and it isn't clear to me that attempting to bring things up on a vagrant box is going to help by putting things in a sandbox like that16:35
Niharikaskay: No worries.16:35
skayNiharika: I haven't figured out what is going on when I try doing things with make. Meanwhile, I went through and did some of the steps by hand to see what would happen16:55
Niharikaskay: Okay. I think I´ll go to bed for now and try to see what´s up tomorrow.16:56
tpbTitle: paste of my history 9746 source bin/activate 9747 tig 9748 ./manage.p - (at
skaythat's the history16:56
skayignore the numbers, also tig16:57
skaythaalso source bin/activate sinc eI already did that and the history was from something else and I mean to paste16:57
skay./ runserver
skayso, after all that, the server is running16:58
skayand I don't know what is going on with the Makefile16:58
NiharikaOkay. That´s good news.16:58
skaysee you tomorrow16:58
NiharikaTake care. Thanks. Bye!16:58
*** Niharika has left #timvideos17:03
*** rohitksingh has quit IRC17:57
*** mparuszewski has joined #timvideos19:42
*** CarlFK has quit IRC22:33

Generated by 2.12.1 by Marius Gedminas - find it at!