Friday, 2014-07-25

*** tpb has joined #timvideos00:00
*** Palash has joined #timvideos01:56
*** Palash has quit IRC02:05
*** Niharika has joined #timvideos02:44
*** techdragon has joined #timvideos03:23
*** Niharika1 has joined #timvideos03:39
*** Niharika has quit IRC03:40
*** Niharika1 is now known as Niharika03:45
mithroanyone alive in here?03:48
techman83mithro: about to leave my desk, but yes :)03:48
NiharikaMe too.03:50
*** CarlFK has joined #timvideos04:02
*** ChanServ sets mode: +v CarlFK04:02
mithroHey CarlFK04:03
mithrohi Niharika04:03
NiharikaHi mithro.04:04
mithroNiharika: I wanted to catch up and find out how your project is going04:04
CarlFKhi all 0 just got into hotel in Ohio - I think it is midnight04:05
Niharikamithro: Sure. It´s going good. I have two major tasks left to do now.04:05
NiharikaA) Put the app on a server.04:05
NiharikaB) Connect it to the streaming-system.04:05
NiharikaI´ll need a bit of help from skay for both. She said she´ll be able to help today or tomorrow. :)04:06
mithroNiharika: I also wanted to suggest that you can ask here and in other places for help04:06
mithroNiharika: your mentor isn't the only one who can help you04:06
Niharikamithro: Okay.04:07
mithroNiharika: also I wasn't able to comment on your blog post04:07
mithroNiharika: there are also the #django and #python IRC channels which can be helpful too04:07
Niharikamithro: I know. Sorry about that. It doesn´t support comments.04:07
*** mparuszewski has joined #timvideos04:07
Niharikamithro: Yes, I take help on #django mostly.04:07
*** Niharika1 has joined #timvideos04:10
*** Niharika has quit IRC04:13
*** Niharika1 is now known as Niharika04:13
*** Niharika has quit IRC04:33
*** tvCommitBot has joined #timvideos04:33
tvCommitBot[streaming-system] mithro pushed 2 new commits to master:
tvCommitBotstreaming-system/master 2d2aed8 Tim 'mithro' Ansell: Made support JSON with comments....04:33
tvCommitBotstreaming-system/master bc0d527 Tim 'mithro' Ansell: Using name ircchannel rather then just "channel".04:33
*** tvCommitBot has left #timvideos04:33
*** tija has joined #timvideos04:42
*** tvCommitBot has joined #timvideos05:23
tvCommitBot[streaming-system] mithro pushed 4 new commits to master:
tvCommitBotstreaming-system/master 1ffcf04 Tim 'mithro' Ansell: Updating pycon2internal format for PyOhio.05:23
tvCommitBotstreaming-system/master 041b6cb Tim 'mithro' Ansell: Hacking in pycon schedule format support.05:23
tvCommitBotstreaming-system/master 5e277c4 Tim 'mithro' Ansell: Removing tabs from pycon2internal.py05:23
*** tvCommitBot has left #timvideos05:23
tijashenki: there?05:25
shenkitija: hello05:26
tijashenki: Hi05:26
shenkitija: re you question earlier, i was asking if you could reply to all of the in-line comments i made05:26
tijashenki: on Git itself right?05:27
shenkitija: on github, yeah05:33
tijashenki: okay thanks!05:33
shenkijust mention if you're going to fix the issue, or explain why you disagree05:33
*** tvCommitBot has joined #timvideos05:33
tvCommitBot[streaming-system] mithro pushed 1 new commit to master:
tvCommitBotstreaming-system/master a5105c5 Tim 'mithro' Ansell: Spliting into seperate javascript blocks.05:33
*** tvCommitBot has left #timvideos05:33
*** Niharika has joined #timvideos05:35
*** Niharika_ has joined #timvideos05:38
mithroCarlFK: poke?05:55
CarlFKmithro: here05:55
mithroCarlFK: so where are you at?05:55
CarlFKhotel in columbus OH05:55
mithroCarlFK: I hacked up the website to parse the PyOhio schedule05:56
mithroCarlFK: the encoders are ready but currently shut down05:56
mithroCarlFK: just getting the IRC logging up and working05:56
mithroCarlFK: Added a bunch more documentation to the config file05:57
CarlFKwhen was the last time you parsed the PyOhio schedule?  cuz it changed in the last 8 hours ;/05:57
CarlFKI am having to fix my import to deal with {name:'Break',room:''}  (or whatever is not in a room)05:58
mithroCarlFK: about 30 seconds ago06:01
CarlFKyay.  glad it didn't barf06:02
mithroCarlFK: I was surprised it didn't barf more06:02
CarlFKI just got my importer to not barf too06:02
mithroCarlFK: I just reused the one I had for PyCon US06:04
mithroCarlFK: I really need to make the handle the PyCon US style format06:04
CarlFKthey haven't commited the code to trunk, but at least everyone is copying it instead of rewriting06:04
mithroCarlFK: it already does a very good job of cleaning up and making sense of Zookeepr schedules06:04
mithro(IE dealing with holes, room changes, etc)06:05
*** Niharika has quit IRC06:08
CarlFKDebCon is in 3 weeks..06:12
CarlFKlooking for their schedule06:14
CarlFK  but they haven't scheduled talks yet, so it is kinda empty06:21
tpbTitle: DebConf14 (at
*** slomo has joined #timvideos06:24
*** slomo has joined #timvideos06:24
*** Niharika_ has quit IRC06:26
*** Niharika has joined #timvideos06:27
*** Niharika_ has joined #timvideos06:28
*** Niharika_ has quit IRC06:30
*** Niharika_ has joined #timvideos06:32
*** Niharika_ has quit IRC06:36
*** Niharika_ has joined #timvideos06:40
*** mparuszewski has quit IRC06:52
*** Niharika has quit IRC06:54
*** tvCommitBot has joined #timvideos07:00
tvCommitBot[HDMI2USB] mithro opened pull request #69: Making the Makefile build output nicer (master...color-output)
*** tvCommitBot has left #timvideos07:00
mithroshenki: something for you to review07:20
mithroCarlFK: xml :(07:20
mithroCarlFK: I really need to get back to HDMI2USB bring up, how long from now are you likely to get venue access and things set up?07:21
CarlFKaccess to the room in 10 hours.  not sure how soon I will have a box up and connected07:22
CarlFKI need to get to sleep .. 3am.. the plenary talks have mangled data..07:23
mithroCarlFK: yeah I know - I don't really feel like fixing07:23
mithroCarlFK: okay, I should still be up in 10ish hours07:23
mithrobut it will start to be reasonably late for me07:24
CarlFKk - see ya then - I am off to sleep07:25
*** tija has quit IRC07:35
tpbTitle: Continuous Integration · timvideos/HDMI2USB Wiki · GitHub (at
mithroCould people who have IPv6 give the following website a go?
tpbTitle: Slidelint checks common problems in presentation slides (at
mithroIf you find problems, log them at
tpbTitle: Issues · timvideos/slidelint_site · GitHub (at
mithroNeeds a lot of love in the grammar / spelling / etc department08:37
*** Niharika_ has quit IRC08:38
*** tija has joined #timvideos08:43
*** slomo has quit IRC09:09
aps-sidsmithro: I think I need to test flumotion in streaming-system now. These ugly packages are creating problems since I'm not able to use them without installing.10:03
*** Niharika has joined #timvideos10:03
*** pyohio-logbot has joined #timvideos10:09
*** Niharika has quit IRC10:14
mithroaps-sids: I'm not sure what you mean?10:40
mithroaps-sids: the "streaming-system" is just flumotion plus a config file10:40
mithroAnd a web frontend but that doesn't really matter to you.10:41
aps-sidsmithro: the problem that I discussed few days back. I can't use ugly components without installing them and flumotion being ported. and I have to reinstall after every change to test it.10:41
mithroHow do you install them?10:41
aps-sidsmake install. dpkg doesn't work10:42
aps-sidsmithro: can the docker work done be used here?10:42
mithroWell, its still an installed flumotion10:43
mithroSo it doesn't help with the "having to reinstall them after each change"10:43
mithroIt does help with having a VM you can create and throw away quickly10:44
mithroaps-sids: keep pestering me about that dpkg issue10:44
mithroaps-sids: I set up a VM with precise to try and replicate your problem and then got distracted.10:45
aps-sidsmithro: Well, flumotion repo I'm working on doesn't have debian/control. So, I need make install for that for sure.10:46
mithroYes - the Debian issue was with the dvswitch plugin right?10:47
aps-sidsmithro: yes10:47
aps-sidsmithro: What I'm looking for is some way to use ugly plugins by directly putting code in flumotion repo, like it works for other existing components.10:48
mithroOh, actually you might be able to do a hack to get that to worm10:48
mithroI'm just getting off a train10:48
aps-sidsmithro: that would be great. It has been troubling a lot.10:49
aps-sidsmithro: when will you be home/free?10:54
mithroHave you tried summoning symlink ing the directories in flumotion ugly under the flumotion directory?10:59
mithroThe two repositories have a pretty similar structure right?11:00
aps-sidsmithro: I tried actually putting the code of just the elements in the flumotion components directory11:01
aps-sidsmanager couldn't find the components11:01
aps-sidsI guess we need to change some xml files as well11:01
mithroHrm. What does the make install step actually do?11:03
mithroFigure that out and you'll understand what you need to do11:05
*** rohitksingh has joined #timvideos11:53
aps-sidsmithro: I found the solution for using ugly components without installing. We needed to fix the xml files in the components.12:11
mithrohey rohitksingh12:11
mithrorohitksingh: how's the PCB going?12:11
mithrorohitksingh: did I tell you that your PCB turned up?12:11
rohitksinghmithro: Hi! PCB is routed. I'm currently doing length-matching of tracks. Meanwhile you could review the 'without length-matched but routed' PCB on github. Except License Info and Length matching, most of the issues have been taken care of. And yeah, you told about the PCB getting delivered yesterday12:19
mithrorohitksingh: take a look at
pyohio-logbotTitle: Routing of GND pins in VHDCI connector needs work · Issue #16 · rohit91/HDMI2USB-vmodvga · GitHub (at
tpbTitle: Routing of GND pins in VHDCI connector needs work · Issue #16 · rohit91/HDMI2USB-vmodvga · GitHub (at
*** Palash has joined #timvideos12:41
mithrorohitksingh: the important part is the gnd is connected "through" the GND pins12:47
mithroIE connected to the gnd plane on both sides12:48
mithrorohitksingh: there are a bunch of places you could do that you haven't12:48
rohitksinghmithro: could you add a marker on something at that places. I will look at them12:49
mithrorohitksingh: if you highlight the gnd net it's pretty obvious12:50
rohitksinghmithro: I think you missed that those 4 GND pins of VHDCI are constrained by signals on both top and bottom layer. I can't connect them to bottom layer in any way. Try hiding the copper layer. Then it will become apparent12:52
rohitksingh*top copper layer12:53
*** Palash has quit IRC12:53
rohitksinghmithro: okay, got that. I thought you meant those 4 GND pins which were routed on top layer12:57
rohitksinghmithro: any more suggestions? I was expecting your comment on the decoupling caps.12:59
rohitksinghmithro: They result in greater vias and ground plane breaks when they are placed near to their respective IC's voltage pins.13:00
rohitksinghmithro: Jahanzeb had placed them all together near the voltage regulators. It resulted in much less  vias and ground-plane breaks. But, I don't think its the proper way13:05
mithrorohitksingh: I'm looking now13:09
mithrorohitksingh: it looks pretty good to me?13:09
rohitksinghmithro: any design flaw or errors that you can spot? more independent reviews always result in more bug findings. I'm doing the length-matching now. I'm targeting them all to be within 10mm of each other. Is this fine? it will result in max. delay to be less than 0.2% of DATACK time period. What say?13:12
mithrorohitksingh: yeah that sounds good13:18
mithrorohitksingh: the only areas I could see potential issues with the GND plane are in
tpbTitle: Potential problematic GND areas · Issue #21 · rohit91/HDMI2USB-vmodvga · GitHub (at
pyohio-logbotTitle: Potential problematic GND areas · Issue #21 · rohit91/HDMI2USB-vmodvga · GitHub (at
*** pyohio-logbot has quit IRC13:23
rohitksinghmithro: The top one probably doesn't matter much since its testpad area. There will be no current in that area during normal operation. Am I right?13:25
mithrorohitksingh: it would be better if that triangle bit met the other bit13:26
rohitksinghmithro: The third one is the area for all VCC and VU pins from VHDCI. There is only 1 GND pin nearby, which has been connected as per your previous pink-highlighted image. Let me push all the changes to repo now.13:28
rohitksinghmihtro: so the third highlighted part is resolved. Remaining are 2nd and 4th highlighted areas13:29
mithrorohitksingh: remember a grid is almost as good as a solid plane, so where possible if you can keep create grid like structures it helps13:30
mithrorohitksingh: it's why the VHDCI connector is designed to be connected in that GND pattern I showed13:31
mithrorohitksingh: you should get hackavana to review now13:31
rohitksinghmithro: The present version for review? BTW I've pushed some changes now such as hanging Ground plane bits. Connected GND pins and deleted stray tracks.13:35
mithrorohitksingh: your silkscreen needs work13:40
rohitksinghmithro: which areas?13:41
mithrorohitksingh: have a look at the gerber it generates13:42
rohitksinghmithro: okay. let me see13:42
mithroAhh, I think it's the bottom silk screen13:44
mithrorohitksingh: looking very good13:45
rohitksinghmithro: I didn't know KiCad outputs the Text layer also to the gerber. How do i turn it off. The Texts are overlapping with the silkscreens13:47
mithrorohitksingh: no sure13:48
rohitksinghmithro: no problems. Got that just now. There is option for turning off references and values etc in the Plot dialog13:49
mithrorohitksingh: I think you probably want references13:49
rohitksinghmtihro: yeah13:50
rohitksingh*mithro: yeah13:50
*** tija has quit IRC13:57
mithrohey shenki14:14
shenkimithro: hello14:16
shenkimithro: how has your evening been?14:17
mithronot much progress on this BUFPLL issue :/14:17
*** Niharika has joined #timvideos14:38
*** rohitksingh1 has joined #timvideos14:48
*** rohitksingh has quit IRC14:49
*** rohitksingh1 is now known as rohitksingh15:34
rohitksinghmithro: Here is the fixed silkscreen
tpbTitle: GerbLook (at
rohitksingh@Timvideos community: Kindly review the designs here and give any suggestions/bugs
tpbTitle: GerbLook (at
rohitksinghThe KiCad files are available here:
tpbTitle: rohit91/HDMI2USB-vmodvga · GitHub (at
mithrorohitksingh: I don't think your bottom silk screen will come out15:40
mithrothe lines are too fine15:40
rohitksinghmithro: you mean values and references? or the caps?15:43
mithroall of the above15:55
mithroCarlFK: ping?15:55
CarlFKmithro: hoping in the shower than driving to venue - I should be there in 45 min, maybe the rooms will be open15:56
rohitksinghmithro: I just referred to the hackvana FAQ. Its says silkscreen thickness should be >=4 mils. The current drawings are 4.3 mils15:59
tpbTitle: Hackvana PCB Q - Google Docs (at
mithrorohitksingh: btw the serial box should be solid, not an outline16:00
rohitksinghokay. I'll also increase silkscreen thickness to 6mils16:01
CarlFKmithro: packing up and heading to venue16:30
*** CarlFK has quit IRC16:35
*** Niharika has left #timvideos16:40
*** Niharika has quit IRC16:41
*** CarlFK has joined #timvideos19:05
*** ChanServ sets mode: +v CarlFK19:05
CarlFKmithro: cnt3 cartoon 1 is up!  dvswitch in 10 min19:06
CarlFKomg 5am.  I hope you are alseep19:06
*** FeltonChris has joined #timvideos19:44
*** mparuszewski has joined #timvideos20:16
*** CarlFK has quit IRC20:31
*** rohitksingh has quit IRC20:51
*** rohitksingh has joined #timvideos20:52
*** puck` has joined #timvideos23:27
*** puck` is now known as Guest1743423:28
*** puck has quit IRC23:29

Generated by 2.12.1 by Marius Gedminas - find it at!