Monday, 2014-03-17

*** tpb has joined #timvideos00:00
mithroheyo people00:34
mithroI'll be around for 30-45 minutes if people have questions00:35
mithro~seen parx00:39
tpbmithro: parx was last seen in #timvideos 1 week, 5 days, 4 hours, 38 minutes, and 42 seconds ago: <parx> sharky93 If you wish to tackle a bug, you might find one upstream at the flumotion source.  Partner Projects (listed at are of value to us.00:39
*** livingstore has quit IRC00:51
*** livingstore has joined #timvideos01:03
*** sebifam has joined #timvideos01:05
*** tnkhanh has joined #timvideos01:21
mithroFor students interested in the hardware projects --
tpb<> (at
sebifamthank you01:30
sebifamyou asked to my question01:30
*** sebifam has quit IRC01:50
mithroCarlFK: did you see I fixed your issue in the streaming system too?01:57
mithroCarlFK: also take a look at
tpb<> (at
CarlFKoh nice01:59
CarlFK and info on the all­ important t­shirt :D02:00
CarlFKwhich streaming issue?02:01
mithroThe one you reported recently about the URLs not working02:05
CarlFKah, the curl at the end of the setup?02:05
CarlFK"Open to view the page"  got it.02:20
mithroCarlFK: yes03:14
*** haseeb_ has joined #timvideos03:49
*** Niharika has joined #timvideos03:54
mithroNiharika: I'm around for an hour two, happy to continue the discussion from last night03:59
NiharikaOkay, mithro. Gimme a moment.03:59
mithroI'll be a bit in and out, so just talk at me04:00
Niharikamithro: Why don´t we let the user upload a screenshot as he/she sees fit?04:03
mithroNiharika: I think having the option for the user to upload a screenshot is useful, but my confidence in people being able to create a screenshot easily is low04:03
NiharikaI am saying this because if I were a user, I´d probably not feel very good about using a software which takes a screenshot of my screen without my permission.04:04
NiharikaOkay. So we can use a software like the one Google uses. It gives us a box and lets us drag it around to capture the area needed.04:05
Niharikamithro: I plan to connect this system to the tpb bot on this channel in the future. And I could do the same for the github issue tracker. But might not be possible to do it within the gsoc timeline. I´ll add a new section for future considerations in the proposal.04:09
mithroNiharika: you can't take a screenshot without a users permission, web browsers don't let you do that04:10
NiharikaOh. Okay. That´s okay then. I´ll look for more open source scripts that do this better and test out a few.04:11
*** droy has joined #timvideos04:19
*** rroy has joined #timvideos04:29
*** droy has quit IRC04:31
*** droy_2 has joined #timvideos04:31
*** tnkhanh has quit IRC05:04
*** shenki_ is now known as shenki05:13
*** rroy has quit IRC06:52
*** droy_2 has quit IRC06:53
*** konstovl has joined #timvideos07:03
*** hyades has joined #timvideos07:22
*** droy has joined #timvideos08:04
*** droy_1 has joined #timvideos08:06
*** CARAM_ has joined #timvideos08:21
*** CARAM has quit IRC08:23
*** CARAM_ is now known as CARAM08:23
*** Ajit has joined #timvideos08:38
*** kshkr has joined #timvideos08:49
*** Niharika has left #timvideos09:17
*** Niharika has quit IRC09:17
*** livingstore_ has joined #timvideos09:19
*** livingstore has quit IRC09:21
*** konstovl has quit IRC09:35
*** konstovl has joined #timvideos09:38
*** droy_1 has quit IRC10:00
*** droy_1 has joined #timvideos10:02
*** droy has quit IRC10:03
*** droy has joined #timvideos10:04
*** konstovl has quit IRC10:17
*** droy_1 has quit IRC10:19
*** droy has quit IRC10:20
*** konstovl has joined #timvideos10:21
*** sebifam has joined #timvideos11:54
*** Niharika has joined #timvideos12:03
*** sebifam has quit IRC12:41
*** droy_1 has joined #timvideos13:00
*** CarlFK has quit IRC13:02
*** droy has joined #timvideos13:02
*** droy_1 has quit IRC13:09
*** droy_1 has joined #timvideos13:10
*** droy_1 has quit IRC13:19
*** CarlFK has joined #timvideos13:20
*** ChanServ sets mode: +v CarlFK13:20
*** droy_1 has joined #timvideos13:22
*** aps-sids has quit IRC14:12
*** aps-sids has joined #timvideos14:13
AjitHi I have made a partially complete proposal for MJPEG core optimisation project. Mentors please have a look.14:44
tpb<> (at
*** sebifam has joined #timvideos14:46
*** konro has joined #timvideos14:56
*** sebifam has quit IRC14:56
*** konro has quit IRC15:04
konstovlHello here is my proposal. Please review it when you can.
tpb<> (at
*** dhanush has joined #timvideos15:25
*** tariq786 has joined #timvideos15:43
*** tariq786 has quit IRC15:51
*** tariq786 has joined #timvideos16:02
*** rroy has joined #timvideos16:18
*** droy_2 has joined #timvideos16:18
*** droy_1 has quit IRC16:19
*** droy has quit IRC16:21
*** droy_2 is now known as droy16:23
*** CarlFK has quit IRC16:32
*** Ajit has quit IRC16:55
*** sebifam has joined #timvideos17:06
*** CarlFK has joined #timvideos17:09
*** ChanServ sets mode: +v CarlFK17:09
CarlFK  External Resources:  Homepage  40417:09
tpb<> (at
*** aasheesh has joined #timvideos17:19
*** CarlFK has quit IRC17:21
aasheeshi am planning to design an algorithm "processing image and sending through online channel with less deterioration ".17:23
aasheeshwhat i have to do?17:23
*** droti has joined #timvideos17:27
*** livingstore_ has quit IRC17:28
aasheeshdroti: hello17:29
drotiaasheesh: have we met before? :)17:30
aps-sidshi aasheesh, I don't quite follow. What are you referring to?17:30
aasheeshi am planning to design an algorithm "processing image and sending through online channel with less deterioration ".17:31
aasheeshgive me suggesion17:31
aasheeshdroti: no , i am planning to design an algorithm "processing image and sending through online channel with less deterioration ".give me suggesion17:32
*** CarlFK has joined #timvideos17:33
*** ChanServ sets mode: +v CarlFK17:33
drotiI'm afraid I can't :) I'm on the hardware side17:33
aps-sidsaasheesh: CarlFK  might help you17:33
CarlFKhi folks17:34
aps-sidshe just joined, post your question again17:34
drotihi CarlFK17:35
aps-sidsCarlFK:   'aasheesh> I am planning to design an algorithm "processing image and sending through online channel with less deterioration ".give me suggesion'17:36
CarlFKanyone want small gstreamer 0.1 upgrade project ?17:38
CarlFKstep 1: find the code ;/17:38
tpb<> (at
aps-sidsCarlFK: didn't get you. What code to find?17:40
CarlFK <-17:41
tpb<> (at
aps-sidswhat's to find? It's there on the page.17:43
tpb<> (at
CarlFKI think this:
tpb<$r> (at
aps-sidsoh that17:44
aps-sidsFound. Next step?17:45
CarlFKgit clone...17:45
aps-sidsalready did, this was the project I was playing with before turning to flumotion port, remember?17:46
CarlFKI have trouble keeping track...17:46
aps-sidsits okay.17:46
CarlFKdo you have a launchpad ppa?17:46
CarlFKdo you have a launchpad account?17:47
tpbTitle: Carl Karsten in Launchpad (at
CarlFKso that then you can create
tpbTitle: PPA for Carl Karsten : Carl Karsten (at
CarlFKso that when you have something working, put it in your PPA so that I can apt-get install it17:48
*** shilpibiswas has joined #timvideos17:49
*** hyades has quit IRC17:49
CarlFKaasheesh: ping17:49
tpbTitle: dvsmon/ at master · CarlFK/dvsmon · GitHub (at
CarlFKthat is what I run to send that app to my PPA17:51
*** Niharika has left #timvideos17:52
*** rroy has quit IRC17:52
aps-sidsah, okay17:52
aps-sidshi shilpibiswas , are you here for GSoC?17:52
aps-sidsCarlFK: I'm not on my laptop right now. I'll try this later. btw I was getting errors 'dvswitchsink not found' all the time with dvswitch plugin.17:55
aps-sidsshilpibiswas: have you read ?17:55
CarlFKaps-sids:  this works, so you can use that as a guide to how to get everything working together17:56
tpbTitle: dvsmon/Vagrantfile at master · CarlFK/dvsmon · GitHub (at
shilpibiswasyes aps-sids  i read17:57
aps-sidsshilpibiswas: great. What project interests you?17:58
aps-sidsCarlFK: yeah I have played with this as well :D Even this was giving some problems. I was using ubuntu in a VM, so I think running vagrant from inside VM is not a good option or is it? ha, OS-ception :P17:59
CarlFKaps-sids: thats interesting, but I don't have time for that kind of problem18:00
aps-sidsyeah, don't get into that. I'm getting a new laptop in a few days, I'll install only ubuntu on it.18:02
CarlFKwhat os is your current laptop?18:02
aps-sidswindows 8, I had some .net projects to do18:03
CarlFKdid you try running vagrant on that?18:03
aps-sidsI ran from inside the VM only18:04
CarlFKwhy not on win?18:05
aps-sidsFrankly, I didn't know(at that time) that we could run it from windows as well :/18:06
*** sharky93_ is now known as sharky9318:07
aps-sidsI tried to lookup but then got busy with flumotion18:07
shilpibiswasi am  intrested in  the  1)json sheduled output and   2) making tim videos website awsome  :)18:08
shilpibiswasaps-sids, ^^^   these 2 projects intrests me18:08
aps-sidsI guess CarlFK can tell you more about 1st one18:11
CarlFKshilpibiswas: you should submit a proposal ;)18:12
shilpibiswasCarlFK,  iam just not getting how to start with the project18:16
shilpibiswasi  did go through the code base18:17
shilpibiswasand read your convo with droy about this project18:17
CarlFKshilpibiswas: i would make a validator18:18
shilpibiswaswhats a validator18:19
tpbTitle: The W3C Markup Validation Service (at
tpb<> (at
shilpibiswasi remember you told about some  things keep changing18:25
CarlFKhaving a well defined spec will help stop that18:26
shilpibiswasok but what are the prerequisites for the project18:26
shilpibiswaslike i have a good command on python18:27
shilpibiswasand i have been dealing with json and javascript projects18:27
CarlFKthat sounds like enough18:28
CarlFK  Option 2: Or type in the URL to your JSON file :
tpb<> (at
CarlFK"it is valid"18:30
*** sebifam has quit IRC18:30
*** sebifam has joined #timvideos18:30
CarlFKmake something like that, but also looks for the required names, and no html tags in description, and dates can be parsed into sensible dates18:31
shilpibiswasok i did that18:31
CarlFKput it somewhere public - you can get 6 months of free hosting at
tpbTitle: Rackspace Developer Center (at
tpbTitle: Heroku | Cloud Application Platform (at
shilpibiswaswe could make this using  meteor too18:35
shilpibiswasCarlFK,  i found
tpbTitle: garycourt/JSV · GitHub (at
droywe could use that to implement  ?18:45
CarlFKmaybe.  personally I would prefer python18:46
shilpibiswasCarlFK,  we would be using python on the client side ....18:49
shilpibiswasi found
tpbTitle: jsonschema 2.3.0 : Python Package Index (at
shilpibiswasthis  is a package to implement json validation18:50
shilpibiswasso  we could use it and implement this thing using DJango framework18:53
*** rroy has joined #timvideos18:56
*** shilpibiswas has quit IRC19:00
*** rroy is now known as shilpibiswas19:00
*** aasheesh has quit IRC19:03
shilpibiswaswe could make a Django site which will be processing the json  at  backend using the json schema module and  diplay th eresults19:06
shilpibiswasand host it on on of the servers which you mentioned like heroku ?19:07
CarlFKthat sounds good19:07
*** rroy has joined #timvideos19:08
droygr8 :)19:08
droysir what  should be put in the proposal ?19:10
*** shilpibiswas has quit IRC19:11
*** rroy is now known as shilpibiswas19:13
tpb<> (at
*** mproctor has joined #timvideos19:27
*** tija has joined #timvideos19:33
*** rroy has joined #timvideos19:34
*** shilpibiswas has quit IRC19:37
*** shilpibiswas has joined #timvideos19:42
*** rroy has quit IRC19:45
*** tija has quit IRC19:48
*** rroy has joined #timvideos20:01
*** shilpibiswas has quit IRC20:05
*** droti has quit IRC20:06
*** droti has joined #timvideos20:06
*** shilpibiswas has joined #timvideos20:24
*** rroy has quit IRC20:27
droyCarlFK whats the main aim of the JSon shedule output project ?20:29
CarlFKmake it easier to have accurate data in the systems that need data20:32
droyyou said there are 3 popular conference systems: pentabarf, zookeepr, symposiun20:33
droywe have to extract data from these systems20:33
CarlFK  another system I get data from20:38
CarlFKbut not at all popular.20:38
droyactually i was creating my  draft  proposal
tpb<> (at
*** rroy has joined #timvideos20:43
*** shilpibiswas has quit IRC20:46
*** droy_2 has joined #timvideos20:50
*** shilpibiswas has joined #timvideos20:51
droy_2how to integrate it with the existing repositories20:51
*** droy has quit IRC20:52
*** rroy has quit IRC20:53
*** droy_2 is now known as droy20:54
*** sebifam has quit IRC21:00
*** sebifam has joined #timvideos21:01
CarlFKdroy - good questions about the other systems.21:04
CarlFKI would suggest providing patches if needed, but setting up those systems to test your changes is hard21:05
droyactually the ideas page itself doesnot provide much insight to the problem :P21:08
CarlFKit isn't a high priority21:09
CarlFKwe have code an procedures in place that work good enough21:10
droyi guess i dont have enough to put on proposal21:10
drotiGood night guys!21:17
CarlFKg night21:18
*** droti has quit IRC21:18
droywhat does do ?21:24
CarlFK# adds episodes from an external source, like a json file or url.21:27
CarlFKtakes data from
tpbTitle: FOSDEM 2014Welcome to FOSDEM 2014How we found a million style and grammar errors in the English Wikipedia (at
CarlFKputs it here:
tpb<> (at
droyafter making webapp to validate json files then the webapp can utilize the to fetch the data  and validate it and  then deliver it to the output ...21:33 is pretty messy21:38
CarlFKyou can copy some of its code21:38
droymeans we have to rebuild it ?21:39
CarlFKnot worth the trouble21:40
CarlFKthere will always be new formats, like
tpb<> (at
CarlFKI have a good feel for how to hack addeps to consume that21:42
droyi guess we could map each json data with its respective fields  and store it in a datastructure21:49
droylike in the link
tpb<> (at
*** droy_2 has joined #timvideos21:51
*** rroy has joined #timvideos21:51
*** sebifam has quit IRC21:51
droy_2we could mapp day and store the data related to day in a dictonary with day being the key21:51
*** sebifam has joined #timvideos21:52
droy_2and for each respective day we have sesions21:52
CarlFKthat kinda works.  like look at this code:
tpbTitle: veyepar/dj/scripts/ at master · CarlFK/veyepar · GitHub (at
*** droy has quit IRC21:54
*** shilpibiswas has quit IRC21:54
CarlFKoh yeah, this is fun:
droy_2i get it22:00
CarlFK"field_profile_surname_value": {"id": "field_profile_surname_value","content": "Jacqueline Benson","raw": "Benson","class": "field-profile-surname-value","label": "Presenter",22:01
CarlFK def unfold_origami_unicorn turns that into {"Presenter": "Jacqueline Benson"}22:01
CarlFKhmm22:02 has evolved into 3 parts:22:03
CarlFK1. get the data into a python object (list or dict)22:04
CarlFK2. transform that into something consistent22:04
CarlFK3. merge that with the db (schedules changes, so need to sync ad various times)22:05
droy_2i am having a doubt .22:06
droy_2the data taken  from the json input why is it being changed ?22:07
CarlFKwhat do you mean?22:07
droy_2why the modifying the json data after extracting it22:08
droy_2you said the 2 . point you mentioned is transforming data into something consistent22:10
droy_2whys that22:10
*** livingstore has joined #timvideos22:13
CarlFKso that #3 can expect to find row['presenters']22:13
CarlFKnot "field_profile_surname_value": {"id": "field_profile_surname_value","content": "Jacqueline Benson","raw": "Benson","class": "field-profile-surname-value","label": "Presenter",22:13
CarlFK#2 has the code to take however the data is and store it to row['presenters']22:14
CarlFKmost of is dealing with the 50 different ways people want to answer "who is presenting?"  :p22:15
droy_2you didnt imported json ?22:16
CarlFKmay as well include
tpb<> (at
CarlFKwhat do you mean ?22:16
droy_2import json module to decode json22:17
CarlFKline 81 ?22:17
*** konstovl1 has joined #timvideos22:21
*** konstovl has quit IRC22:23
droy_2ok i see it has lot of trouble like it has to deal with all differently formatted json files22:23
CarlFKhere is a thought:22:24
CarlFKbuild a website that also does 3 things:22:24
CarlFK1. get data - user entered url, server side code fetches the data22:25
CarlFK2. transform that into something consistent  (yes, same thing)22:26
CarlFK3. display data in a grid22:26
tpbTitle: PyTennessee | Conference Schedule (at
CarlFKsomething like that22:27
tpb<> (at
CarlFKthat is my version of the same data22:28
*** livingstore has quit IRC22:28
CarlFKthis is assuming the data is good.  you also get to figure out how to deal with errors22:29
droy_2i really would like to work22:30
droy_2i guess this would be a really long project22:32
CarlFKthere are a few parts, and none of them deserve too much time22:33
CarlFKactually I am not sure anyone should spend any time trying to fix the conference systems22:34
CarlFKlet the conference system devs do it22:34
droy_2but someone needs to  serve the output22:35
*** droy_2 is now known as droy22:37
droysir i would really like your help in fixing my proposal a bit  :)22:37
droythis is my first gsoc really confused :P22:37
CarlFKmeh, look at the examples22:42
*** shilpibiswas has joined #timvideos22:45
CarlFKPut yourself in our position: we have to evaluate and select proposals.  What would you look for?22:46
*** rroy has quit IRC22:49
*** haseeb_ has quit IRC23:00
*** konstovl1 has left #timvideos23:29
*** droy has quit IRC23:37
*** droy has joined #timvideos23:38
*** rroy has joined #timvideos23:38
*** shilpibiswas has quit IRC23:39
*** kshkr has quit IRC23:44
*** sebifam has quit IRC23:58

Generated by 2.12.1 by Marius Gedminas - find it at!